I Couldn't Decorate If It Wasn't For..........

Baking By LemonLyme Updated 23 Aug 2005 , 11:33am by LittleLinda

LemonLyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LemonLyme Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 11

Is there a place or thingor gadget you just couldn't see yourself continuously decorating cakes without?
Take the time to share.
As for me mine are as follows.

The Hardware store.
The little gadgets i get to help enhance the out come of my flowers and various designs.
even my cake decorating tool box is a nice handyman's dream.. a tool box for my tools

10 replies
alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 11

Wow, this is a hard one, there are so many things I just can't live without!

Ok, here it goes. . .

#1 Non-stick Fondant Rolling pins (Large & Small)
#2 Non-stick cutting board for rolling fondant & gumpaste
#3 The 33" long piece of PVC that I use to pick up and transfer
large pieces of fondant to larger cakes ( I got this at the hardware
store for a $1.25 I believe. Don't you love those GREAT buys!)
#4 My local Cake Supply Stores, they truly have a wonderful inventory!
#5 ALL my cookie cutters that make so many projects, so much EASIER!

This was really hard! I feel like I just took a mid-term exam!
I could never just pick one item icon_lol.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 11

LemonLyme, I have two tool boxes and you should see the mess I have after decorating a cake, I haven't learned to be very organized yet, but I couldn't do without my wide putty spreader, I think that is what you call iticon_smile.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 11

This one is easy! I couldn't decorate cakes without my DH!!! He is so great about being my cheerleader when I need it, he helps keep my two toddlers out of the frosting, he helps me clean-up afterwards, he helps me take pictures, he provides kind but constructive criticism, and he is happily my guinea pig when I want to try a new recipe. icon_smile.gif

After that, I'd have to say my 6 qt KA.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 11

Kitchenaid is number one on my list.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 11

My KA too.. I wouldn't get that great results in my icings if it weren't for my precious KA....
Then comes my gadgets...
I do need to get those impression mats someday..
cakegal

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 11

momsandraven
I have a big cake to make in a couple of weeks.. By anychance is your DH "for hire"?!!! icon_wink.gif
hehe..
I think it would be my KA too.. And of course my small paintbrushes for my BCT's..

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy

Kitchenaid is number one on my list.

You see, I said this was a hard one for me. . .

I FORGOT my Kitchen aid! Yikes!

That would be my # 6. . .well, not really in that order, but it's one of my most important things icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 11

Mine would also be my DH. He helps me with the technical details (like finding/making a box to transport a big cake), takes care of the house so I can decorate/bake after the kids go to bed, helps me with ideas, and provides feedback on what works (and doesn't).

My #2 would also be my kitchenaid (which DH got me for mothers day ... so it all goes back to my #1 then!).

Happy Baking!

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 8:25am
post #10 of 11

Alengirl, I also agree with your number 4. I have a few cake shops nearby. And the people that run them know their stuff and are very helpful. Two of them are both mom and pop type shops run by people who have been decorating for years, not just "paid salespeople".

I went in last week to buy a few tips I had seen in the Wilton books. Most stores are of course just out to make a sale. I explained to my cake-guy that I was fairly new at "real" decorating. Cake Guy dragged out a bag of icing and his tip set from the back (they also sell decorated cakes) and showed me the design each of the tips I had on my list made. He also told me any of the standard size tips he would give me for free. I didnt want to take advantage so I only got a couple freebies.

I also bought the flower former set and Cake Guy told me how people used to do it before Wilton made the nifty plastic things-paper towel rolls cut in half.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 11:33am
post #11 of 11

There is absolutely no substitute for toothpicks! I use so many of them when coloring frosting. I couldn't use anything but something cheap and disposable.

Couplers are also a must for changing tips!

Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%