Sugar Flowers By Jill Maytham..tightwad Considering Purchase

Decorating By drakegore Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm by peg818

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 16

i am thinking about buying sugar flowers by jill maytham, but the cheapest i can find it is $40. cannot find any good deals on ebay or amazon and have pretty much scoured the web and not found any great deals (%@$@%....).

i have most of alan dunn's sugar books and a few others to boot, but this one looked like it might be very, very straightforward because the line drawings looked very easy to interpret. i might have to hurt someone if i cannot figure out how to do the small parts in the middle of my moth orchids and i thought buying the book might be a better way to go...

ok, i really do have a question in here somewhere, lol.
is it worth the money (bear in mind i am a terrible tightwad)?

diane

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #2 of 16

I'm also looking for books on how to make suger flowers. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to know. It sounds like this book might good for me if it has lots of detailed explanations and pictures.

Thanks!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 16

anyone? it is really great (i.e. worth the money)?

caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 16

Good luck! I have no idea just giving you a bump.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:38am
post #5 of 16

the book is great when you have a load of JEM cutters, its her range so the books shows exactly which cutters to use. It a very basic book, and for the most part easy to follow, but remember it was written 15+ years ago and the new edition is just a straight reprint.

I prefer the way that Alan Dunn shows how to do the flowers. His photos is also very clear, so if you dont undersand something you can look at the picture and try to figure it out. With Jills book it not possible.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:44am
post #6 of 16

btw, it might be cheaper to buy it directly form her. Her website is www.jemcutters.co.za

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:49am
post #7 of 16

believe it or not I got most of my books at the public library... and have had several checked out now for well over 6 months.

It's free (provided you don't incur any late charges) and they have a real great selection where I am.

One of the staff had actually borrowed a book they didnt have for me from another library in the next neighboring town.

Cant beat free if your a tightwad LOL and at least this way you can see if the book is something you really want to add to your own personal library.

It's a try before you buy kinda deal.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:57am
post #8 of 16

Do you have any titles? I mean, so I know what books to look for at the library. TIA!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:15am
post #9 of 16

i go from library to store bought, i tend to find the library editions are all very old volumes, some of them twenty year old and the decorations styles are waaaaay back beyond what i know now!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 16

Have you tried any of Nick Lodge's books and dvd's?? He's an amazing instructor!!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 16

I'm in my 3rd semester of sugar paste flowers and my instructor relies on Leslie Herbert's Complete Book of sugarflowers. I bought it and I love it. She gives instructions on cymbidium and dendrobium orchids.

HTH. thumbs_up.gif

I have not seen this other book you are referring to, so I cannot give an opinion.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 16

I recommend anything by Alan Dunn, Leslie Herbert, Scott Clark Woolley has a great book out "Cakes by Design" and Nick Lodge has a sugar flowers book out "A Potpourri of Flowers." All are very good. icon_biggrin.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 16

Any of Nick Lodge's book are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. I have taken some of his classes when I was in Atlanta and they were wonderful. If you are looking for good book sources at great prices try abe.com, I have bought many books from there and never have had a problem. Also someone on here mentioned discountbooksale,com, however, I have never bought from them so I can not vouch for the books or delivery. Good luck in your pursuit of books to help you with flowers. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 16

Any of Nick Lodge's book are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. I have taken some of his classes when I was in Atlanta and they were wonderful. If you are looking for good book sources at great prices try abe.com, I have bought many books from there and never have had a problem. Also someone on here mentioned discountbooksale,com, however, I have never bought from them so I can not vouch for the books or delivery. Good luck in your pursuit of books to help you with flowers. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 16

Aside from which book to buy, the ONLY place I buy books EVER is from ABEBOOKS.

It's a network of used book stores. I have never not been able to find what I wanted. And I pay anywhere from $1.99 up. Plus about $4 shipping. I think I got the Lodge book for less than half of what it sells for elsewhere. And I have never had a problem. The books always arrive quickly and the condition is always excellent. Trust me on this one. You will never pay full price again.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 16

I have this book and refer often to it. It is a very basic book and give great detail. You don't have to have her cutters to use it, but it is written for use with her line of cutters.

The one thing i find most frustrating about gumpaste flowers is coloring them, and unfortunately this book is mostly black and white line drawings. Do i think its worth the money absolutely, after all one class in gumpaste will run more then that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%