Please Help! Choclate Fondant Mess Up!

Baking By heathernicole_032 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 3:30am by Texas_Rose

heathernicole_032 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 6

I was trying to make the recipe for marshmallow chocolate fondant and did everything exactly on the directions, but it turned out horrible!!! Very dry and when i tried to kneed it, it almost crumbled like dry fundge! Im not sure if it had to much c/s or what,,,, im afraid to try to fix it again!

I used this recipe
1 - 16 oz bag for Miniature Marshmallows
1/2 - 3/4 cup Milk Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet or dark)
2 Tablespoons of Water
1 teaspoons of Lorann Oil chocolate flavor OR chocolate-hazelnut flavor OR 2 teaspoons of your choice of extract
7 - 7 1/2 cups of sifted Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 - 1 cup of sifted Cocoa Powder
Shortening to grease bowls, spatulas, mixer attachments and your hands when kneading.

Posted by a cc member here, not sure who icon_sad.gif

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 6

I would try and melt more marshmellows and knead them in.

dsilvest Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Make another batch. This one has too much dry ingredients.

16 oz bag marshmallows
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup shortening
1 tbsp glycerine
sometimes add 2 tbsp glucose or corn syup

Melt this in the microwave

Add flavouring

1/2 cup cocoa
6 1/2 - 7 cups powdered sugar

This is the recipe I use and it turns out great

Use less powdered sugar in the next batch (it should be sticky and soft)and then knead the two batches together

If you make it again use the amounts listed in recipe.

bettinashoe Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 6

I wish the MMF recipes would warn people to only add half the powdered sugary when mixing as when you add all that is asked for it turns out exactly as you described. I always start with about 1/2 of the sugar and then knead in as much remaining powdered sugar as needed. I don't think I have ever used the entire amount cited in the MMF recipe. Don't give up on it, please, as it really is good!

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 6

I've watched a couple of youtube vids on making this fondant. They all add about half the sugar to start with and then slowly knead in the rest. It's almost like the NFSC recipe. I found that adding all the flour in the recipe yields a very dry and crumbly dough so i just add a cup at a time until i like the consistency.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

I had exactly the same result with that recipe. It tasted really good but it didn't seem like it would cover a cake at all. I put it in the fridge and it turned into a lovely chocolate rock.

The next batch I made, I used 6 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 16 oz marshmallows, 3/4 cup cocoa powder and 4 tablespoons of water. It gets chocolatey enough without the addition of the chocolate chips and is still workable. Different cocoa powders will give you a different flavor and color. Hershey's special dark makes a fondant that is so dark it's nearly black. Guittard cocoa rouge makes a lighter brown that tastes like tootsie rolls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%