Nfsc Rocks And A Question About Royal Icing

Baking By KaraBeara Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm by shari22

KaraBeara Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all! I'm a newbie so this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering if it is bad to use a royal icing recipe with egg whites. I have found a lot that use meringue powder, and only a few that use egg whites. Will using the egg whites make the royal icing "go bad?" Are there major benefits to using the meringue powder?

Also, I just tried the NFSC recipe for my sugar cookies and I am now a convert. I hated making cut sugar cookies before because my cookies would always spread out to much that the shape was unrecognizable. I just pulled my first batch out of the oven and they look exactly the same as when I put them in. Thank you thank you for all of the great recipes and advice!

4 replies
Honeydukes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:02am
post #2 of 5

Using raw eggs is a problem for some. Kids and the elderly aren't supposed to eat anything made with raw eggs. You can look for pasteurized eggs at your grocery store. I have several British baking books and it doesn't seems to be a concern for them.

MP will last a long time in the cabinet. Plus I get mine at Michael's with a coupon.

KaraBeara Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, Honeydukes!

Honeydukes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:26am
post #4 of 5

You are very welcome. I forgot to add this list of very helpful cookie information. But don't hesitate to ask any questions -- there are a lot of very talented and knowledgeable Cookiers (TracyLH's word icon_lol.gif ) here who are happy to help!

Here are the links for popular recipes and information:

MMF (Marshmallow fondant)
Rolled Buttercream

How To bake & decorate Cookies

How To Make Your Own Cookie Cutters:

"Where to Get Food-safe Metal to Make Cutters"

Cake Central Acronyms

Cookie Cutter Sites

All/ Misc:

shari22 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Honeydukes for all that helpful information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%