Substituting Plain Gelatine For Jello In Cake Recipe?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 7

I'm following a cake recipe that calls for strawberry jello. I made it once before and it was pretty good but the color was way too pink! I would like to follow the same recipe, substituting unflavored gelatine instead, then add a liitle strawberry flavored oil. I'm trying to get the same basic cake but with a pale pink color. Any thoughts if the substitution will work and if you think I can just add the dry powder (plus a little sugar) to the cake mix powder mix before adding the rest of the ingredients? Does that make sense? Do you think 1 envelope of the gelatine to substitute for the 3 oz. pack of jello?

6 replies
cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 7

Would love to have someone help me think this through. icon_razz.gif

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 7

I'm new to this, but I hope this will help. I made the same cake on the first layer, which I used two boxes of Strawberry Jello (4 servings) and two boxes of Strawberry mix and it also came out too pink. So when I did the second layer I only used one box of Strawberry Jello for the 2 boxes of Strawberry cake mix. What you can also do, but I haven't tried it, is use white cake mix instead.

cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks GL79, I should have mentioned that I did use the strawberry jello with a white cake mix. Thats the one that was too pink for me.

Also when I use a white cake mix and try to get a lighter pink the cake comes out looking tan or like the color of a spice cake almost.

Is there such a thing as a pale pink cake or will they always be tan?

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 7

Well I think if you use half of the box of Strawberry Jello (the 4 servings box) to a box of Strawberry cake, or two boxes of strawberry cake mix and one box of strawberry jello, it will come out just a regular pink. When I stacked those cakes you could tell a huge difference in color.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 7

wonder if you can split the clear geletan with the box mix i would think if the measurements were the same it would be ok, and you would get the lighter pink, i don't think the regular is sweetened, not sure. is it like a jello cake you're trying make that are really moist?

cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7

ninatat, yes I'm trying to get a light pink colored cake that tastes like strawberry. It should probably be sturdy to because it is for a stacked wedding cake. And yes, I'm looking for moist!

O.K. the next thing I'm going to try is mixing three white cake mixes with one strawberry cake mix. (I'll then follow the wasc ingredients). Maybe that will do it. Inplace of the flavoring I'll add the strawberry oil (Lorranne sp?)

Thanks for the brainstroming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%