I Don't Want Crusty Edges.. How Do I Stop It ???

Decorating By vlk Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm by vlk

vlk Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 12

HI -

I am new to the decorating.... I have been baking cakes for years and now that I feel that I have the baking down.. I am dabbling in decorating (ALOT HARDER THAN IT LOOKS.. Kudos to all of you!)

My question is ... on my 9" round cakes - how do I NOT get the crusty hard edges? Am I cooking to high temp and too fast ? Its horrid.. I never really thought about it before, now that I need a nice clean edge I am noticing it more and more -

Thanks for the help !

11 replies
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 12

I bake at 325 degrees and use bake even strips. On anything over 8" I also use a flower nail inverted in the center of the pan. Everything bakes even and there is no hump. On very large pans 2 nails may be needed. Just be sure to coat them with whatever you coat your pan with. When you turn the cake out on to the cooling rack the nail is easily removed leaving just a tiny hole.

G_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with tiggy and would follow those steps, but also you may want to consider investing in some good bakeware.

Off the top of my head I can not think of the names but I know that alot of the bakeware I had was cheap and thin, and really not that good at all.

I have a lot of different types of pans but use alot of the wilton pans.

I think another good brand is Magic pan (could be wrong on the name) but I am sure others will correct me and offer up other names.

HTH icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 12

Magic Line pans are the best IMO and Fat Daddios and Wilton are are next in line.

vlk Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 12

Tiggy2 and MissLizzy - THANK YOU

I use Fat Daddios pans - I spent some $$ on then thinking that was the problem? needed better pans - but still have the hard edge.
Did not even think about the inverted nail in the center ! WOW.. I will try on my next cake (carrot tomorrow).

I also grease and line the inside with paper for easy release (saves on cleaning too!)

I will lower my temp to 325 (was 350) and just keep trying! Glad my cakes taste good, just need to master the rest of it !

THANKS AGAIN -

Vicki

tiggy2 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:55am
post #6 of 12

If you don't have bake even strips you can use old towels. Tear them in strips, soak in water, squeeze out, fold to width to fit height of pan and wrap around outside edge of pan and secure with binder clip.

panchanewjersey Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 12

As weird as it sounds even if I get crispy edges as soon as my cake comes out of the oven I use a foil to cover the cake while it's in the pan. Big help because of the steam that's in there it softens my edges and actually helps cakes stay moist. After about an hour or so I turn it out and that's it.

vlk Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #8 of 12

WOW ! great ideas - I LOVE THIS SITE !

Its like having friends all over the country helping me make a great cake !

Okay.. so the baking strips/wet towels sounds interesting...and the foil over the cake when it comes out.... sounds like STEAM is my friend and I must embrace - I can do this !

Thank you so much !
PS - I will let you know how my Carrot Cake turns out tomorrow

VICKI

indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of 12

Magic Line pans.
Bake Even Strips.
Reduced oven Temp.

Freezing adds moisture. I wrap my cakes, when they are just warm to the touch, in Saran Wrap and freeze.

Sometimes I still have a slightly hard outer edge ... I just trim it off when partially frozen. (Easier to trim when partially frozen).

beachcakes Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 12

I find I get the crusty edges when I use the sprays such as Pam.

eta: I seem to remember Fat Daddio recommends to lower the temp to 325 with their pans...

leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 12

What Indy said.

Magic Line pans produce superior results.
And lower your baking temp.

vlk Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 12

THANK YOU Very Much Everyone !

I baked three cakes this weekend all using crisco and PPaper - lowered the temp and put tin foil on them as they cooled on the counter.

They have great edges and I can not thank you enough !

Vicki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%