Oh Please Help-Decorating Dilemma

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 13

Oh please, I hope someone is here to help. I made a devil's food cake with cheesecake layer and now trying to decorate it. This is more of a taste cake than a decorating cake but I still wanted it to look nice. Anyways, I could not smoothe the icing the way I wanted to (non-crusting) because the cakes are cold and icing was setting up really quick, so I got the bright idea to cover the cake in chocolate shavings. Well, now it's this big chocolate cake covered in chocolate shavings all over and it looks... well.... blah... Is there anything I can do to make it look a little more "gourmet" and well put together? This always happens to me when I don't have a plan. I have to serve it in a few hours.
Thanks in advance, P

12 replies
kurzkabunch Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 13

How about adding some strawberries plain or chocolate covered?

G_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 13

Is it possible for you to melt some of the chocolate and perhaps pipe it onto some parchment paper or plastic wrap making some sort of swirly design.

Once they harden you can place them on the cake and that would give it a very professional look.

You could also add some fresh strawberry's or raspberry's to it on the top or around the bottom edges.

Hope this helps and good luck but I am sure the cake will turn out just great no matter what you do to it icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 13

Maybe get some soft ganache or some nice chocolate buttercream and make a really large swirly shell border around the base and the top, and maybe a poof in the center with some chocolate curls or sticks put into it?

Some gold disco dust works great on chocolate too....

mgwebb68 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 13

do you have some white chocolate that you can melt? Put the melted white choclate in a piping bag with a small tip (maybe #3) and just drizzle it across the top in a criss-cross pattern, and let it drape over the edges as you are making the criss-cross pattern. If you don't have a piping bag just put it in a ziploc and cut a very small piece out of the corner and use that.

It's not fancy, but the white would contrast against all the chocolate.

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, those are great! I have some icing left so the borders will be an easy one. The strawberries are somewhat out of season now, so it will be hard to find some really good ones on a short notice. Do you think the combination of white chocolate criss-cross on top and chocolate borders will look good together? If i pipe designes out of chocolate, what would they be, like swirls? And then place them on a mound of icing in the center?
Thanks again, P

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 13

I love a big fluffy reverse shell border on dessert cakes....

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 13

Pardon my ignorance, but what is reverse shell?

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 13

Kinda like the above, only bigger and fluffier, with a large tip.

I just made a chocolate dessert cake, will upload it in a sec...

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 13

Ok it should be in my photos now...hope it helps some.

Kimmers971 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 13

If I'm picturing the cake correctly, some simple powdered sugar dusted on the top would look very pretty as well.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 13

Pipe some big rosettes on the top and drop on some maraschino cherries, like they do in the stores.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 13

Oh Kitagrl, your cake is adorable. Thanks you all for your help! I think I can make it look nice now! Thanks again! You are all wonderful as always!

Quote by @%username% on %date%