Cake And Frosting Suggestions Please

Decorating By macquestonm Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm by macquestonm

macquestonm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macquestonm Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

I feel like such a baby baker to the rest of you. My daughter is turning 3 and its the first time we have lived anywhere where we can have more then just my husband and myself at her "party" So we are planning a rather big bash with more family around this time. She has requested a sleeping beauty cake, Ive decided to make the Wilton wonder cake to make her dress and plan on putting it on a 14 inch round cake. we are expecting about 40 or more people.... rediculous for a 3 year old party but what can we do! So Ive already done a practice cake and tried my first hand at buttercream, it was sooooooooooo sweet. I want something sweet but not knock your socks off sweet. So a frosting and filling suggestion and a I was thinking of making a 14 inch round bottomhalf something and half something else. So that there is more cake to go around for everyone. There will be more adults then kids at this party. Oh and heres the other problem... I live Louisiana.... humidity capital of the world.... please help I have some time to put this all together.....

3 replies
Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 4

For that heat, you need a crusting buttercream made with a higher ratio of shortening than butter in it. You could go all shortening if you like too (Indydebi's buttercream holds up very well in heat). If you add a 1/4 tsp of salt to your buttercream, it kind of cuts down the sweetness. Without knowing what cake flavors you are planning to make, it is hard to come up with filling suggestions. Good luck. I always have 40 +for my kids' birthday parties and I know how stressful it is. I cook all the food by myself too, it adds up.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC!! A little salt (well mixed into the liquids) added to your buttercream will help cut the sweetness of it. Indydebi's BC is great for hot humid weather.

macquestonm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macquestonm Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 4

Im not sure on cake flavors either.... or filling or frosting.... i just have the general idea of what I want to do, just not the specifics of what flavors Im doing. Please help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%