Mmf Help?

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm by karizkakes

QueenJessica Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

icon_sad.gif I MADE MMF FOR THE 1ST TIME. I MUST SAY IT TASTED 100 MILLION % BETTER THAN WILTON. I MUST SAY THOUGH, I FOUNF IT HARD TO WORK WITH. UNLIKE THE WILTON STUFF, THE MMF WAS TOO STIFF AND DID NOT STRECH AT ALL, IT JUST BROKE/CRUMBLED APART. DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG OR IS THAT JUST THE NATURE OF IT?

5 replies
shelly-101 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 6

it might have been a little dry try putting a little Crisco in it or putting it in the microwave for a few seconds. when i make marshmallow fondant it never comes out the same way twice. i tried Michele fosters fondant for the first time the other day and i loved it so much more pliable almost like the Wilton stuff. hope this helps and good luck

shelly

all4cake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Did you allow it to rest overnight? Although some use it directly after making it, I've found that letting it rest overnight gives it better workability.

I haven't yet experienced it being crumbly but when it isn't as pliable as I want it, I simply grease my hands and the counter really well with shortening and work the shortening into it.

Hopefully, someone will come along with the answers to your questions.

Whatever you do...don't toss it out!

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

You may have to make another batch if it's crumbly. When you make it remember it will harden up after it sits 24 hrs. So you don't want it working consistency before you wrap it & let it rest. Also, try using glycering instead of corn syrup---it makes it more pliable. But you can try adding crisco & see if you can get it to work---may not be worth the work though

bettinashoe Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 6

Did you put the full amount of powdered sugar into the marshmallow? It sounds like there may have been too much powdered sugar in the fondant. I usually only add half the sugar when mixing the ingredients together. I then gradually add more powdered sugar as I knead the fondant. I never have ended up using the full amount of sugar to the mixture.

karizkakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6

I also think you should let it rest (if you didn't before). That seems to help mine and I ALWAYS pop it in the microwave for 5 sec. before working with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%