Trouble With Fondant Borders

Decorating By luts88 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm by dsilvest

luts88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luts88 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have just begun making cakes. It's more of just a hobby. I make my own michelle fosters fondant which seems to be working out really well. I just can't seem roll out snake like borders or make ribbon borders because I can't get the fondant to stop stretching making the borders look distorted and uneven. I've tried rolling balls but it is just so time consuming and still does not look right. Lately i've been using satin ribbon but would really like to keep my cakes 100% edible. Any suggestions?

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 5

The best advice I can offer is to get yourself a clay gun. It will extrude a perfectly uniform snake (add more fondant from the back of the barrel to make a really long snake) that you can let sit for a few moments to firm up. Then, wrap it around your cake trouble-free!

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

I saw on an episode of amazing wedding cakes that they cut the ribbon out of fondant, then rolled it up. Then you unroll it while you apply it to the cake. I did it, and it worked really well. Just make sure that your fondant isn't sticky, or you won't be able to unroll it. When I make ball borders, I roll out the fondant with my pasta roller at a number 9, then I cut out circles using a circle cutter, size depending on how big a ball I want. That way I know for sure that all the balls are the same size.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommy3

When I make ball borders, I roll out the fondant with my pasta roller at a number 9, then I cut out circles using a circle cutter, size depending on how big a ball I want. That way I know for sure that all the balls are the same size.

Y'know, I love this place. Not to hijack the thread, but this was one of those moments where I went, "Oohhhhhhh, duh!" I've been eyeballing it. I do ok, but this sounds a lot faster. Thank you CakeMommy3!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

Add some tylose or gumtex to the fondant. It will firm it up a bit so that it isn't so stretchy. Do you need to add some more icing sugar to the fondant? This might help as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%