Cake In The Shape Of A Margarita Glass

Decorating By ivgotahalo Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm by anesha

ivgotahalo Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a newbie...No way I'd be able to shape a cake like that So I told the lady I'd buy one of those giant margarita glasses and put the cake in it. I'll put the fondant in first, then put icing on the fondant (maybe?) then layer the cake inside the glass. I'm going to make a gumpaste straw and lime and put sugar crystals round the outside of the glass...my question is....

What should I do for the top? Just another piece of fondant? Any other ideas to make it look icy? I was thinking of doing fondant and then clear crystals.....

IDEAS?!?!?

3 replies
imamommy1205 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 4

Here is a thead about making ice...maybe you could do that?
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-636769.html

anesha Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 4

Depending on how tall the glass had to be, you could use a sturdy support like PC piping, cover it with rice krispie treats and place a cake on top of the PC pipe. You could use a round support peice that can be hot glued or screwed into the piping. Of course the cake couldn't be huge, but if you used something with depth it would be sturdy enough to have a top wider than the bottom. Especially if you covered it in fondant, chilled it and assembled on site (after a few test runs at home first).

If you want to stick with the magarita glass itself, I would thin about exposing the cake and making something like a key-lime flavor that would be a light green flavor, with a nice contrasting frosting, and let that be your inside view. You could "salt" the rim with sugar crystals, then use either a buttercream icing with piping gel or just piping gel to make it look like a drink, for an icy look you could use cake crumbs and piping gel to make it look like a slushy. hope this helps.

anesha Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 4

Depending on how tall the glass had to be, you could use a sturdy support like PC piping, cover it with rice krispie treats and place a cake on top of the PC pipe. You could use a round support peice that can be hot glued or screwed into the piping. Of course the cake couldn't be huge, but if you used something with depth it would be sturdy enough to have a top wider than the bottom. Especially if you covered it in fondant, chilled it and assembled on site (after a few test runs at home first).

If you want to stick with the magarita glass itself, I would thin about exposing the cake and making something like a key-lime flavor that would be a light green flavor, with a nice contrasting frosting, and let that be your inside view. You could "salt" the rim with sugar crystals, then use either a buttercream icing with piping gel or just piping gel to make it look like a drink, for an icy look you could use cake crumbs and piping gel to make it look like a slushy. hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%