Taking Cake On Airplane

Decorating By nmmorse Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm by cylstrial

nmmorse Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

I'm traveling back home this weekend and would love to surprise my dad with a birthday cake. Does anyone know if the airport will let me through security with a cake in my carry-on? I've taken snacks with, but have heard of other people who have had to throw things, like fruit, away.

Happy 4th Everyone!!

3 replies
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 4

I have taken a dummy decorated cake on a flight after a class. It was a little challenging getting through security and all but I was able to take it. They made me put it under the seat where your feet go during take off and landing and it just barely fit but made it ok. I would call the airline and ask questions and it may not hurt to get a name for the ticket agents to contact at the HQ just in case.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

It's no problem flying with a fully decorated cake, as long as the boxed cake fits either under the seat in front of you, or in the overhead bin. If it fits in those places, it will go thru the TSA scanner with no problems.

I speak from personal experience--I've done it 3 times in the past 2 years.

Things to consider: No metal in or on the cake--skewers, pins holding a ribbon, etc. If possible during takeoff and climb to cruising altitude, support the cake so that it remains level (I've done this with my foot when it's been under the seat in front of me). The force and angle are severe enough while climbing that a cake can "shimmy" it's borders off.

Pack it well (in a box that's tight to the board) and keep it simple and you'll do fine.

HTH
Rae

cylstrial Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

It's no problem flying with a fully decorated cake, as long as the boxed cake fits either under the seat in front of you, or in the overhead bin. If it fits in those places, it will go thru the TSA scanner with no problems.

I speak from personal experience--I've done it 3 times in the past 2 years.

Things to consider: No metal in or on the cake--skewers, pins holding a ribbon, etc. If possible during takeoff and climb to cruising altitude, support the cake so that it remains level (I've done this with my foot when it's been under the seat in front of me). The force and angle are severe enough while climbing that a cake can "shimmy" it's borders off.

Pack it well (in a box that's tight to the board) and keep it simple and you'll do fine.

HTH
Rae

Good to know - if I ever want to fly with a cake! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%