Urgent Help!! Packaged Fondant Is Too Hard... What Can I Do?

Decorating By lucia Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm by Shelly4481

lucia Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 9

I have used this product (Bakels Pettinice RTR icing) many times before and have never had a problem. However this batch seems really hard to knead and the icing started to crack before I had even finished covering a cake board.

I need to cover a 14" cake and I don't know how I am going to do it.

If anyone has any tips on what I can do to get the icing workable I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA - Lucia

8 replies
adven68 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 9

I would put it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time...(less than 10), and when it's soft out of the microwave, add a small dab of crisco (vegetable shortening) and knead it in well. The crisco will stop some of the cracking.

good luck!

mccowen73 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 9

I would microwave it for a few seconds at a time untill it is softer. Maybe some shorning kneaded in would help to.

Peridot Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 9

I use Pettinice and I always nuke it a few seconds before I start kneading it.

solascakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 9

I always microwave fondant,i'm too lazy to knead too much.

Peridot Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 9

I use Pettinice and I always nuke it a few seconds before I start kneading it.

cupcakeco Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 9

Keep kneading. Really you can work most of the dryness out this way by just blending and the heat from your hands will do the trick-- no need to microwave. Depending on how dry you might find yourself picking off stubborn little pieces that won't get soft, but overall it will return back to normal elasticity.

I found that it also helps to blend with a batch of fondant which isn't dry/cracking.

lucia Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for your suggestions. After 2 hours, approx 3 kilos of fondant and a very sore back - I gave up.

I called the supplier this morning and they informed me that they had had a few complaints - there must have been a bad batch. I returned unused portion to them and they gave me a new batch - worked like a dream.

Once again thanks - now as I am a day behind I need to get back to this cake...

Shelly4481 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 9

I was wondering about that brand, I bought the bakels gumpaste and made some numbers with it and after 2 days they never hardened up to use. Very frustrating. Sorry off subject. Glad it worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%