The Great Scratch-Off...chocolate Cakes!

Decorating By artscallion Updated 18 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm by CakesByLJ

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:27am
post #31 of 206

i keep getting no posts exist for this topic icon_sad.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #32 of 206

I can no longer edit the old list. So I'm posting again to include the new submissions.

SCWoolleys Fudge Brownie Cake (original)
SCWoolleys Fudge Brownie Cake (egullet tweeked)
Planet Cakes Chocolate Mud Cake
Wicked Wanda's Chocolate Cake (AKA modified Hershys)
Deluxe Chocolate Cake - Softasilk
Chocolate Coke Cake
Giant Chocolate Cake
maryjsgirl''s Double Chocolate Layer Cake
Toba Garett, Chocolate fudge cake
Sylvia Weinstock's Chocolate Fudge Cake
The Whimsical Bakehouse's Chocolate Butter Cake
Guinness Stout Chocolate Cake
Lily's Chocolate Cake

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:45pm
post #33 of 206

Do you have to decide which two you're making by 7/4 to be included in the results? I want to try two, just not sure which two.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #34 of 206

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'm a little confused regarding cocoa. I know there is a difference between cocoa and Dutch-processed cocoa. If a recipe just says "cocoa" does it matter which is used? I have a can of Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa which says it is a "Blend of natural and Dutched cocoas". Does that mean its a hybrid of some sort? Also, is there a preferred high-end brand?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #35 of 206

Personally I use Dutch-processed cocoa for anything that requires cocoa. I like the taste better. I use a local brand that costs me about $4.50 for 2 kilos.

artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:20pm
post #36 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyD333

Do you have to decide which two you're making by 7/4 to be included in the results? I want to try two, just not sure which two.

Cindy, the 7/4 deadline is for recipe submissions, meaning if you have (or know of) a recipe you would like included in the challenge, submit by 7/4.

Then on 7/5 I will post a final list of the submitted recipes with the recipes themselves.

Choose and sign up for two recipes you will be testing at that point. We would like folks to do this by 7/7 so we can see if all the recipes are being covered. But in reality, you can sign up late if you need more time to decide. The only real requirement is that your review is submitted by 7/31 if you want it included in the final challenge results.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #37 of 206

BTW here is the recipe for the Chocolate Stout cake http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7318-0-Chocolate-Stout-Cake.html

I think when I suggested the SCW Fudge Brownie cake I didn't realize it had technically already been submitted -- I thought you had a running list of potential submissions that people were choosing from, so I wanted to make sure that one was on the final list. You said they seem to both be the same anyway, right?!

You know what though: nobody has suggested the Hershey's standard "Perfectly Chocolate Cake." It's such a commonly baked cake - I wonder if it should be in there...??

artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #38 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki3336

Sorry for such a newbie question, but I'm a little confused regarding cocoa. I know there is a difference between cocoa and Dutch-processed cocoa. If a recipe just says "cocoa" does it matter which is used? I have a can of Hershey's "Special Dark" cocoa which says it is a "Blend of natural and Dutched cocoas". Does that mean its a hybrid of some sort? Also, is there a preferred high-end brand?

There is a difference in the alkaline level. So you need to be careful which you choose or it could throw off the leavening chemistry in the recipe. My advice, if you aren't comfortable with the science, is to always use non-dutched cocoa unless the recipe specifically calls for it.

The Joy of Baking gives a good rundown of the science as well as the characteristics of each.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #39 of 206

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that website. I need all the help I can get; I'm determined to figure out this scratch-baking thing! thumbs_up.gif

artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #40 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

BTW here is the recipe for the Chocolate Stout cake http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7318-0-Chocolate-Stout-Cake.html

I think when I suggested the SCW Fudge Brownie cake I didn't realize it had technically already been submitted -- I thought you had a running list of potential submissions that people were choosing from, so I wanted to make sure that one was on the final list. You said they seem to both be the same anyway, right?!

You know what though: nobody has suggested the Hershey's standard "Perfectly Chocolate Cake." It's such a commonly baked cake - I wonder if it should be in there...??

ceshell, yes, that is a list of submitted recipes. I'm actually the one who submitted the SCW recipe earlier in the week when I was bored and wanted to start baking. I made it on Tuesday, I think and just took it out of the freezer this morning. I' m going to be filling it with caramel, frosting with ganach and covering with fondant for the weekend's festivities. So I'll only get to sample the carving scraps in their true, unadorned state. I 'm thinking that won't really be enough to judge it. So I'll probably make the egullet method for a second trial.

We were discussing a Hershys cake on page two, I think. Is that the one you're referring to? If so, we've nixed it in favor of one listed as Wicked Wanda's, which is apparently the same with a minor improvement.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #41 of 206

Hey guys, here's the recipe for my second submission

A hint on making this fudge cake a hit: Make sure the cocoa powder mixture is at room temperature before you add it to the rest of the recipe.

2/3 cup water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
2 1/3 cups sugar
12 large eggs
11 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablepoon baking soda

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Butter two 8 x 3 inch baking pans or one 12 x 3 inch round or square pan and line with parchment.

2. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Pour the boiling water into a bowl and add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and coffee, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain. Set aside and let the mixture cool to room temperature.

3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the sugar and mix for another 3 minutes, or until the batter is light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.

4. Add the melted chocolate and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, until all the chocolate is well incorporated.

5. Sift the flour and baking soda together. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.

6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and place the pans in the center of the oven. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This cake is dense and bakes more evenly in a slow oven.

Serves 12 - 15

Note: For a richer cake, you can substitute coffee for the 2/3 cup water

Wow, I can't believe this cake takes 12 eggs icon_eek.gif and 1lb butter icon_eek.gif , not exactly a budget cake.

CourtneysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysSweets Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #42 of 206

Wow that sure is a lot of eggs.. I am anxious to try it though because I loved her yellow cake.

artscallion Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #43 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtnChris

Wow that sure is a lot of eggs.. I am anxious to try it though because I loved her yellow cake.

Agreed. I will try whichever cake wins the yellow cake scratch-off, just to see. But for now, the SW yellow cake is going to be what I base my yellow cake on. And it'll take one heck of a cake to beat it.

I can't wait to hear the results for her chocolate cake.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #44 of 206

I just wanted to make a running list of all the recipes that we have so far for the Chocolate Cake Scratch-Off. This is what we have so far:

AKA_CupcakeShoppe submitted:
Wicked Wanda's Chocolate Cake

Sugar 2 cups
Flour 1 and 3/4 cups
Cocoa 3/4 cup
Baking soda 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
Salt 1 teaspoon
Mix together well, then in same bowl, add the following:
Eggs 2 (just put them in, mix later)
Buttermilk 1 cup ( or 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup vinegar )
Strong Coffee 1 cup ( can be hot or cold, but cold is better because hot might scramble the eggs!)
Oil 1/3 cup
Vanilla 1 teaspoon

I usually double the recipe, one batch in a 10" round pan and I get a tall cake.

MoreCakePlz submitted:
Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Deep.....Cake-12488

Chocolate Lava Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Choc.....Cake-13555

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Flou.....Cake-13242

Chocolate Coke Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Choc.....ake-153517

Here's a cake from Epicurious (Giant Chocolate Cake with Bittersweet Ganache) that I tried last weekend. It was good, but a little dry. It got rave reviews from the Epicurious community, so I'd like to try it again just to see if I did something wrong.

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....ers-353421

Giraffe11 submitted:
Black Magic Cake
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

Nutritional Information per serving (1/12th recipe):
Calories: 310, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 480mg, Total Carbohydrate: 51g, Dietary Fiber: =1g, Sugars: 35g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 0%DV*, Vitamin C: 0%DV*, Calcium: 4%DV*, Iron: 10%DV*

Lita submitted:
Deluxe Chocolate Cake
2 C sugar
1 C butter
3/4 tsp almond extract
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 1/2 C cake flour, sifted
1 C cocoa powder ( I use Hershey's Special Dark)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 C buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in extracts and combine. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add combined dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, in 4 additions, beginning and ending with the dry. Beat at medium speed for a minute longer. Bake 9" layers 45-50 min and cuppies 26-30 min.

Maryjsgirl submitted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the double chocolate layer cake from Epicurious.com. This has been my go to chocolate cake. It is very moist and makes nice cupcakes also. The first time I made it I used instant coffee. I absolutely hate coffee, but everyone swears you can't taste it. I actually did taste it! So now when I make it I only add half the amount of instant coffee crystals to the boiling water.

* 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut

* 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
* 3 cups sugar
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 3 large eggs
* 3/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Make cake layers:
Preheat oven to 300°F. and grease pans. Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.

Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer). Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well. Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks. Carefully remove wax paper and cool layers completely. Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.

MajorMichele submitted:
Chocolate Fudge Cake Epicurious | © 2003 by Toba Garrett

Toba Garrett
The Well-Decorated Cake

This is the best chocolate cake ever. It's delicious to the last crumb.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (285 g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (170 g) dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup (110 g) Dutch processed cocoa powder
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups (18 fl oz or 540 ml) buttermilk
1 cup (230 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
6 oz (168 g) melted semisweet fine quality chocolate

1. Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter and parchment line two 8x2-inch (20x5-cm) baking pans.

2. Measure all ingredients (except the chocolate) into a large mixer bowl.

3. Blend for 30 seconds on LOW speed, scraping bowl constantly.

4. Blend in the melted chocolate and beat 3 minutes on HIGH speed, scraping the bowl.

5. Spoon into the pans and level them well with an offset spatula.

6. Bake layers for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Storage: Double wrap the cake in plastic wrap. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

DKelly submitted:

Ugh...I can't find this recipe on-line, so I'll have to type it out. This is from the "Whimsicalbakehoues fun to make cakes that taste as good as they look" book.

Here goes...............

Whimsical Bakehouse Chocolate Butter Cake

Grease and flour two 10 x 3" round pans. Preheat the oven to 350deg.

In a bowl, combine and whisk until there are no lumps

1cup hot coffee
1cup cocoa powder

Add and whisk until smooth

1cup cold water

On a piece of wax paper, sift together

3 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat at high speed until light and fluffy:

8 ounces (2 sticks)unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups sugar

On medium speed, add slowly and cream well:

4 lg eggs
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Add the dry ingredients alternately to the butter and egg mixture with the cocoa, mixing until smooth.

Pour 3 cups of the batter into one 10 inch pan and the remaining batter into the other 10 inch pan. Bake the less full pan for 20 to 25 minutes and the fuller pan for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cakes on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before turning them out of their pans.

Yield 9 cups of batter

AND

A hint on making this fudge cake a hit: Make sure the cocoa powder mixture is at room temperature before you add it to the rest of the recipe.

2/3 cup water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup brewed coffee
1lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
2 1/3 cups sugar
12 large eggs
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tablepoon baking soda

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Butter two 8 x 3 inch baking pans or one 12 x 3 inch round or square pan and line with parchment.

2. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Pour the boiling water into a bowl and add the cocoa powder, vanilla, and coffee, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain. Set aside and let the mixture cool to room temperature.

3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add the sugar and mix for another 3 minutes, or until the batter is light in color and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.

4. Add the melted chocolate and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, until all the chocolate is well incorporated.

5. Sift the flour and baking soda together. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.

6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and place the pans in the center of the oven. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes until the sides of the cake pull away from the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This cake is dense and bakes more evenly in a slow oven.

Serves 12 - 15

Note: For a richer cake, you can substitute coffee for the 2/3 cup water

Cshell submitted:

Scott Clark Woolley Fudge Brownie Cake
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html

AND

Chocolate Stout Cake
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7318-0-Chocolate-Stout-Cake.html

Ahuvas submitted:
Okay I am putting forward my grandmother's chocolate cake. I have found it to be light yet sturdy.

Here it is:

Lily's Chocolate Cake

250 grams (9 ounces) margarine/butter
3 cups sugar
2 cups water
5 Tbs cocoa
1 tsp baking soda

4 eggs
3 cups self-raising flour

Bring to boil first 5 ingredients and put on a low simmer for for a minute or two. Keep a careful eye on the pot as it can very quickly rise and pour over the sides!

Let cool

Beat eggs and add to the cooled mixture. Whisk in self-raising flour. Make sure to use a whisk otherwise you will get lumps of flour. If you get lumps you can always use a stick blender to make a smooth consistency - it doesnt harm it.

Bake 350 degrees celcius for 45 minutes 1 hour or until done in the center.

Edited to add:

Artscallion submitted:
SC Woolleys Fudge Brownie Cake (book version)

13 ounces flour (3 Cups)
5 ounces cocoa (1.5 cups)
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
3 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups boiling water (or coffee)

1. Preheat oven to 300°. (275° if using an electric oven)
Raise oven shelves as high as possible.
Prepare pans (grease and flour).
(General instructions at beginning of book state all recipes fill two 10 or 11 round pans for thin, non tortable layers. I'm using two 8" square pans)

2. Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir evenly.

3. Add eggs, buttermilk, butter, oil & vanilla at once and stir to mix.
Beat for two minutes, scraping bowl once.
Stir in water.

4. Pour into prepared pans up to 1 to 1 1/2" deep and bake 1 hour until firm to touch.
Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes only.
Cover with plastic wrap and flip cake out.
Bring plastic wrap up and completely seal cake.
Cool.
Freeze.

2 cups water
21 oz sugar
9 oz dark chocolate
13 oz butter unsalted
10 2/3 oz plain flour
2 oz self raising flour
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder
3 eggs lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 320°
2. Grease two 8 round cake pans, line base and sides with baking paper.
3. Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chopped chocolate and the butter. Stir constantly until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
5. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
6. Sift the flours and cocoa powder together, gently fold into the mixture.
7. Fold in eggs one at a time until smooth.
8. Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
9. Bake about 1 hour. To test insert a skewer into the cake when it comes out clean the cake is ready.
I hope I got them all. Let me know if I missed any.

artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #45 of 206

You forgot my submissions, Lita...

SC Woolleys Fudge Brownie Cake (book version)

13 ounces flour (3 Cups)
5 ounces cocoa (1.5 cups)
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
3 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups boiling water (or coffee)

1.  Preheat oven to 300°. (275° if using an electric oven)
Raise oven shelves as high as possible.
Prepare pans (grease and flour).
(General instructions at beginning of book state all recipes fill two 10 or 11 round pans for thin, non tortable layers. I'm using two 8" square pans)

2.  Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl and stir evenly.

3.  Add eggs, buttermilk, butter, oil & vanilla at once and stir to mix.
Beat for two minutes, scraping bowl once.
Stir in water.

4.  Pour into prepared pans up to 1 to 1 1/2" deep and bake 1 hour until firm to touch.
Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes only.
Cover with plastic wrap and flip cake out.
Bring plastic wrap up and completely seal cake.
Cool.
Freeze.

2 cups water
21 oz sugar
9 oz dark chocolate
13 oz butter unsalted
10 2/3 oz plain flour
2 oz self raising flour
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder
3 eggs lightly beaten

1.  Preheat oven to 320°
2.  Grease two 8 round cake pans, line base and sides with baking paper.
3.  Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
4.  Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chopped chocolate and the butter. Stir constantly until all ingredients are combined and smooth.
5.  Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
6.  Sift the flours and cocoa powder together, gently fold into the mixture.
7.  Fold in eggs one at a time until smooth.
8.  Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
9.  Bake about 1 hour. To test insert a skewer into the cake when it comes out clean the cake is ready.

Lita829 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #46 of 206

Sorry about that, Artscallion. I saw them in the list but didn't see where they were written out. I'm getting old...my eyes are going bad icon_redface.gif . I edited them into the post.

Lita829 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #47 of 206

I think that I am going to try the following recipes for the chocolate cake scratch-off:

Toba Garrett's Chocolate Fudge Cake
Planet Cake Chocolate Mud Cake

This was a really hard decision...I wish I could try them all...I probably will (eventually) icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #48 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I' m going to be filling it with caramel, frosting with ganach and covering with fondant for the weekend's festivities.

That was just mean, to write that out without sharing it! icon_lol.gif I'm too lazy to go find the drool icon.

Thanks for the clarification on the Hershey's cake. I am such a confused person lately. I used to be smart, til I had a kid. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

12 large eggs

icon_eek.gif for the eggs, but also for 3/4 of a pound of chocolate too?! icon_eek.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:05am
post #49 of 206

artscallion, have you tried the mud cake? I wanted to know what the texture is. My hubby will choose what recipe we'll make and he's very specific about what kind of cake he wants. I'm gonna "guide" him.

artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #50 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

artscallion, have you tried the mud cake? I wanted to know what the texture is. My hubby will choose what recipe we'll make and he's very specific about what kind of cake he wants. I'm gonna "guide" him.

I baked it yesterday, AKA. But I didn't cut into it. I froze it as I do with all my cakes. So I don't know what the texture is. Though it was very heavy. There's almost a pound of melted butter in this one too! So I suspect they don't call it mud cake for nothin'!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #51 of 206

oh please let me know when you've tasted it. I've always wanted to try a mud cake. icon_smile.gif thanks!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #52 of 206

I was going to post my Aunt Florrie's Chocolate Cake and the recipe has gone missing. icon_sad.gif Mom is on vacation, so no chance of getting it till she gets back. I will have to wait for the next round of chocolate cakes. icon_sad.gif Oh well, there's always next time, I hope.

Have a great weekend all! icon_biggrin.gif

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:58am
post #53 of 206

I just wanted to tell you that I dont think the planet cake instructions are right. According to the same recipe on thier website you need to cook it 2-21/2 hours and not 1 hour as specified in this thread.

artscallion Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:36pm
post #54 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

I just wanted to tell you that I dont think the planet cake instructions are right. According to the same recipe on thier website you need to cook it 2-21/2 hours and not 1 hour as specified in this thread.

Oops! You're right, ahuvas. I copied/pasted the wrong recipe in. I could not find a single definitive version on their Planet Cake's site other than sveral versions in their forum. So my intent was to submit what Lindy Smith claims is the Planet Cake Mud Cake. The conversions from metric are my own and are very slightly rounded off. Can you link to the official recipe on their web site, ahuvas?

Planet Cakes Chocolate Mud Cake (Lindy Smiths version)
500ml water (2 cups)
600g sugar (20 oz)
250g dark good quality chocolate (8 oz)
375g butter unsalted (13 oz)
320g plain flour (11 oz)
60g self raising flour (2 oz)
40g cocoa powder (1.33 oz)
3 eggs lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F)
2.  Grease an 8in square or 9in round cake tin, line the base and sides with baking paper.
3.  Combine water and sugar in a large saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
4.  Remove the saucepan from the heat and add in the chopped chocolate and the butter. Stir until all ingredients are combined and melted. I found that the chocolate although melted is suspended in the syrup rather than being combined into it.
5.  Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
6.  Sift the flours and cocoa powder together, with a balloon whisk, carefully incorporate into the syrup
7.  Add the eggs in one at a time and whisk until smooth.
8.  Pour the mixture into prepared pan.
9.  Bake in a moderately slow oven for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. To test, insert a skewer into the cake when it comes out clean the cake is ready. I use a fan oven at 320°F and found that my cake was baked in 2 hours.
[/u]

artscallion Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #55 of 206

side note....I followed the incorrect recipe in my test the other day and tested it after one hour. The toothpick came out completely clean and the cake seemed completely set. We'll see what it looks like when I thaw and cut it.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:16pm
post #56 of 206

I just made the Planet Cake mud cake and it took me over two hours. Even at 160 degrees celcius it had an very high dome that cracked a lot. It was as if the cake only rose in the centre and not the outside.

Here is the recipe from thier website http://www.planetcake.com.au/courses/library/mudcake.php

It was almost like a giant brownie - the top was deliciously crunchy. I put it in the freezer because I dont plan on eating it straight away but I did keep all the scraps from the dome for tasting. it tastes delicious so far but I dont think I would use it as a cake for serving since I lost half of it levelling the top - The crack was there almost from the beginning so I dont think I over baked it because I kept a close eye on it.
LL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #57 of 206

ahuvas thanks for posting that! that's too bad about the dome. it looks pretty big too.

artscallion, i am dying to find out about your cake. icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #58 of 206

Can't wait to do this!! I followed every page of the last scratch off. I am going to bake

Black Magic Cake
Sylvia Weinstock Chocolate Fudge Cake

I am a chocoholic for sure. My ex has said that if he was made of chocolate we would still be married!

I just need to know how to post a picture, never done that before, but baking is something I can do in my sleep!!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #59 of 206

Well I'm going to be baking the recipe I submitted Tuesday so I will be signing up for that one.

I will also try out the Fudge Brownie cake by SCW (book)

Lita829 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #60 of 206

Sorry for being so indecisive but I'm going to change one my selections. I'd like to sample:

Black Magic Cake (instead of Planet Cake's Chocolate Mud Cake)
Toba Garrett's Chocolate Cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%