Thank You For Your Help! I Finally Finished!

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 2:40am by iownajane

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:44am
post #1 of 10

I was the one asking all the questions abouy stacking layers and the one that started the contraversy on when to use dowells. icon_lol.gif
Everyone was so helpful and i ABSOLUTELY LOVE this site!

I saw this cake in the photo gallery and thought I would try it just to get some practice. I used the saran wrap method with the frosting and it was totally amazing!

I also tried the viva method which I think would have worked much better if my frosting would have crusted better. I used a recipe that was called crusting cream cheese frosting, but not so much crusting even after I added an extra cup of PS.

I also tried using a bench scraper to smooth the sides (before the viva method) but I kept scraping too much off, so I would add more frosting and use the scraper again, but just couldn't get it right. I have a lot of bare spots on the sides of the cake now. icon_redface.gif
How do you all get the frosting even on the top and sides???

Anyhoo here is the cake and I guess I will just keep practicing and hopefully will be as good as all of you wonderful ladies. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 10

Your cake looks very good. Keep practicing on the sides and you will get the hang of it.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #3 of 10

Good job! Cake turned out nice! thumbs_up.gif

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 10

Your cake looks very good. Keep practicing on the sides and you will get the hang of it.

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #5 of 10

Oooh, thats pretty!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:01am
post #6 of 10

Put the cake that is already on it's own little cardboard, if that's what you use, on top of another, larger circle, so your bench scraper is scraping along that, and can't cut into the sides of your cake. Pop it in the fridge to firm up, and then gently release the cake from the larger circle. That is how you get an even smooth edge, and not pull off icing from the cake.

cakelovincrazy Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 10:53am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Put the cake that is already on it's own little cardboard, if that's what you use, on top of another, larger circle, so your bench scraper is scraping along that, and can't cut into the sides of your cake. Pop it in the fridge to firm up, and then gently release the cake from the larger circle. That is how you get an even smooth edge, and not pull off icing from the cake.

Thank you, I will definitely try that next time. icon_biggrin.gif

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:22am
post #8 of 10

It looks great! Can I ask what the" saran wrap method" is? Whatever you did,it certainly worked!

cakelovincrazy Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iownajane

It looks great! Can I ask what the" saran wrap method" is? Whatever you did,it certainly worked!

It's a way of putting your icing in the piping bag without all of the mess. It worked great! Here is the link for the instructions.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the tip...the pictures are great...I would have probably thought you were nuts without them.. icon_biggrin.gif ....What a super idea!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%