Freezing Cakes

Decorating By heathers09 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm by mariela_ms

heathers09 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:30am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if it is best to freeze the cake before you frost it. I was also wondering if you fill a sheet cake

thanks

4 replies
mariela_ms Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 5

I love freezing my cakes! I think they come out more moist and delicious! I wrap mine really good in saran wrap once they are cooled, then cover in aluminum foil.

Sheet cakes are usually 1 layer (2 in. high), so you don't do a filling. You can, if you tort the cake, so you woul have 2 layers at 1 in high each. Hope I explain myself clear enough.
GOod luck and welcome to Cake Central! This site ROcks!

Melchas Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:57am
post #3 of 5

Ditto mariela_ms, I too freeze, wrap and wrap and think it make the cake a little more moist.

heathers09 - My only suggestion would be to make sure that the cake is at room temp or totally defrosted before yuo frost it, especially with BC (buttercream). I have gotten bubble in my frosting when I don't. Usually after I have spent hurs smoothing. HTH

txnonnie Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:37am
post #4 of 5

I like to freeze mine as well. Seems to handle better when working with them. Make sure they are defrosted before putting on the frosting. I did not wait once and it took forever for the BC to dry and crust so I could smooth.

mariela_ms Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

Yes! like Melchas & txnonnie said! make sure you defrost completely on your counter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%