Decorating By Stephler Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm by Stephler

Stephler Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 4

I have a few questions, I have just made my third cake and I find I have the same problems happening...

1) how do you make the icing between the cakes a thick layer?...I find that if I make a thick layer when I adt the cake on top it just oozes out the sids.

2) when I am putting on the crumb coat I find that the corners and the edges of the cake will just tear off, is there something I could be doing wrong??

I love this site and am really excited to get in on the forums, any help would be great!!

3 replies
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to Cake Central, the best place for advice, ideas, and help regarding all things cake! You're going to love it here!

Are your cakes frozen or partially frozen when crumb coating. Even a partially frozen cake will make it easier to handle.

Your crumb coat icing may be too thick, causing you to have to apply more pressure to get the icing to stick to the cake, causing problems with your cake.

For the filling, run a dam around the outer edge. I use a piping bag with a coupler but no tip ... pipe a big 'ole ring of icing around the outer edge of the cake. I'd recommend placing the dam about 1/8 to 1/4" inside the cake, then after you put your filling in and place the next layer of cake on top, the icing will have space to spread out a little without bulging or running down the side.

Also how much icing/filling are you using? When you have the dam, as described above, you'll find the filling is about 1/4 to 3/8". I've actually seen articles and posts that talk about the filling should be half the height of the cake and I just can't imagine a 1" filling of strawberry glaze between two 2" layers of cake! icon_lol.gif

newnancy Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC. You're lucky you've got a response from the best person here. Listen to whatever Indydebi says because she's tops.

Stephler Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the reply, I will try it out!! I love this place!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%