Too Bad.

Business By Kitagrl Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm by FromScratch

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 30

So last year I had given a lady a business card and she called me this year, wanting something different....chocolate chip cookie tiers instead of a wedding cake, with fresh flowers. I thought it sounded really creative and fun and couldn't wait! I was going to make 2" thick chocolate chip cookie/bars in rounds, with some icing between, and then she wanted pillars between the tiers and flowers.

Then I found out she was budgeting like $14 per cookie layer like they sell at the grocery store.

*sigh*

29 replies
justducky Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 30

Bummer! How disappointing.

Mensch Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 30

hahaha.... some people.

One wonders if these people have such unrealistic expectations in all aspects of their lives.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #4 of 30

So give her the number to the grocery store.

Client - Did you come up with a price.
You - I won't be able to do it at your price, but here's the number of someone who can.
Client calls number - Ring Ring!
Answering - ______________ Market Bakery, how may I help you?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 30

The sad thing is, that's all she wanted, is a grocery store one! And if I don't say so myself, my chocolate chip cookies are YUMMY haha.

Oh well. She did warn me they are doing this wedding totally DIY because they don't have much money so...oh well.

justducky Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 30

I am in the process of redesigning my brochures to update them. One thing this reminded me to change was.. "cakes to fit any budget" is now.. "cakes to fit most budgets".

I still feel bad for you. This would have been a fun one to do.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky

I am in the process of redesigning my brochures to update them. One thing this reminded me to change was.. "cakes to fit any budget" is now.. "cakes to fit most budgets".

I still feel bad for you. This would have been a fun one to do.

On my website page of Dessert Cakes, I have right on there in black and white: "you won't find grocery store pricing on this page .... but you wont' find grocery store cakes, either."

melhoneybee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 30

awww bummer! That is always cruddy when that happens! It sounded like a fun order too! thumbsdown.gif

lardbutt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 30

I look at it like this...I can't afford some high end things...and I don't expect everyone to be able to afford me. It's ok, because I do not run a cake ministry icon_smile.gif

I do hate you won't get the opportunity to do this though. It sounds interesting!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 30

I should just make one anyway sometime...it sounds like something that could become a trend, dontcha think? haha.

lardbutt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 30

Yes, you need to make one!

tortitas Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 30

Hi there! Could you tell me specifically what "chocolate chip cookie tiers" are? I'm from Ontario, Canada & I don't think I've ever seen this before icon_rolleyes.gif . Is there a photo or website I can visit? Thanks a bunch!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 30

I couldn't find any either, the lady made it up because she doesn't like cake!!!!

She was thinking a big cookie, like 14", and then smaller ones seperated by pillars. Then I came up with the idea to make sure the cookie was 2" thick, and stack two with icing per tier, and then do the pillars. And her idea was to add flowers.

I've seen mini cookie tier favors but never a full tier of cookie wedding cake although I can't imagine it hasn't been done before.

christinapp Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 30

I would do it.
Sometimes we have to do things just to "sow seeds" in our lives. I would do it my way, accept her price and let her know that this is not the normal price for my work. Then I would say a little pray asking the good Lord to bless this creation of mine, the people who receives it, and accept it as a seed for all the many more that He will bring my way.
This woman waited a year to have your creation bless her life.
Sometimes we have to move a few steps back to take a giant leap forward.
I just have a feeling about this one.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #15 of 30

At $14/cookie tier I can't afford to do that for her, plus she lives an hour and a half away. icon_smile.gif

She really didn't wait a year. She said she's doing everything herself but figured she'd call me just to see what I could offer.

hensor Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 30

I guess you win some and you lose some? Life goes on. At least you have a good attitude about the whole situation.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 30

Yeah its not really a problem, I was just amused that she really thought I could make a cookie cake for her for $14/tier....?

crazycaker Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortitas

Hi there! Could you tell me specifically what "chocolate chip cookie tiers" are? I'm from Ontario, Canada & I don't think I've ever seen this before icon_rolleyes.gif . Is there a photo or website I can visit? Thanks a bunch!

Martha Stewart has some pictures in her recent Wedding Cakes book of cakes that are quite thin, and stacked, with just icing in between (showing the open sides, rather like the cookie idea). If you visit her website, you might find the pictures.

I too like this idea -- but might bake 3 thin (or maybe 4) thin layers, slather with butter-cream, and stack.

But...you made a wise choice...better to experiment for yourself, or as a donation for a worthy cause!

I too had to cut out "oh, couldn't you just try XYZ" after a few customers figured out how to get a "deal" out of me by asking for outlandish new stuff. Now -- my donations are for charity, not to underwrite private parties. icon_rolleyes.gif

edited for spelling

all4cake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

On my website page of Dessert Cakes, I have right on there in black and white: "you won't find grocery store pricing on this page .... but you wont' find grocery store cakes, either."

I love that!

poshcakedesigns Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #20 of 30

I did something similiar for my bother in laws birthday/fathers day cake.- it was a 5 layer cookie cake. Each cookie was 12 inches round, each layer filled with BC icing.
LL

aligotmatt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:21pm
post #21 of 30

I did a cake that had a cookie tier in it. I think it took 5 or 6 cookies to make the 4" high. I baked them like a regular chocolate chip cookie square, in my square cake pans. Stacked them up with buttercream in between each layer. Trimmed it like a cake, crumbcoated like a cake, and covered it in fondant. looked like a cake, was really a big chocolate chip cookie, and it was SO GOOD.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 30

so how do you actually cut and serve a big cookie thing like that? icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

so how do you actually cut and serve a big cookie thing like that? icon_confused.gif

With a knife? icon_lol.gif

Sorry.

No anyway that's why I had thought about making them more into "bars"...thicker and more soft so they would be more easy to cut and serve....

aligotmatt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #24 of 30

Yeah... with a knife really is the best way icon_smile.gif

I served it just like a wedding cake, your method in fact Debi icon_smile.gif Slice it down, 2x1" servings, put it on a plate. The buttercream keeps it soft and together, it doesn't fall apart.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:31pm
post #25 of 30

Oh, ok...it was the hardness of the cookie that I wondered about. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #26 of 30

Ew I don't do crunchy choco chip cookies. haha.

Ok. Now I want chocolate chip cookies. *glancing down at waistline*

Hmm....

littlecake Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:41am
post #27 of 30

i love the idea of the cookie bar wedding cake.....

what would you charge for say a 10 and a 8?

Mac Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:51am
post #28 of 30

indydebi--
I want to add your saying to my website.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I should just make one anyway sometime...it sounds like something that could become a trend, dontcha think? haha.

Oh yeah, make a kick a$$ one, and make sure everyone in town sees it! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #30 of 30

I might be doing a brownie cake just like this... and I believe Martha has a recipe on her site for a chocolate chip cookie cake that makes nice soft cookies... yes... here's the link... http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/giant-chocolate-chip-cookie-cake?autonomy_kw=cookie%20cake&rsc=header_6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%