Help! Wedding Cake Tier Sizes?

Decorating By jennicake Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm by jennicake

jennicake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 13

I'm officially doing my first wedding cake this weekend and am about to start baking tonight, but I have a question about tier sizes.

This will be a stacked, square cake... would a 8/10/12 cake look alright, or would it be better to go 8/12/16? I'm not sure if 8/10/12 would look off...

Thanks in advance! I'm going to try ganache under fondant for this one too... some of the posts on here have me itching to try it lol. Wish me luck =o)

12 replies
MACakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 13

Good luck with it!! I too am doing my first wedding for this weekend.

Depends on how much space you want to show at the base of each tier. An 8/10/12/ will only give you 1" around the base of each tier. If you are planning on doing border at each tier you may want to go with the bigger difference in sizes.

Try stacking your pans upside down to see how it will look. icon_biggrin.gif

MACakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 13

dup post

MACakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 13

Good luck with it!! I too am doing my first wedding for this weekend.

Depends on how much space you want to show at the base of each tier. An 8/10/12/ will only give you 1" around the base of each tier. If you are planning on doing border at each tier you may want to go with the bigger difference in sizes.

Try stacking your pans upside down to see how it will look. icon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 13

The sizes should be compatible with how many servings you need first, then aesthetically pleasing - how many do you need to serve?

jennicake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 13

the website seems to be going crazy today... my original post posted 4 times (deleted now, sorry if that annoyed anyone!), looks like you are having the same problem MACakes. Good luck with your cake as well! Let me know how yours goes, I'm quite nervous about transporting this thing as well, as its going to another city 1.5 hours away. Eek!

I am planning on doing a border at each tier, but just a simple ribbon border. The bride wants this cake to be pretty simple. I've stacked my pans upside down to see how it looks, but its hard for me to judge since the pans are only 2" tall and the finished tiers will each me 4 inches. Maybe going with the bigger sizes would be safer for aesthetic reasons? I'm just nervous about having to deal with a 16" tier to be honest! Laying down the first layer would be no problem, but putting the second layer on the filling has me a bit scared! If anyone has any tips on moving around a 16" cake layer without it falling apart, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks!

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 13

The sizes should be compatible with how many servings you need first, then aesthetically pleasing - how many do you need to serve?

jennicake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 13

the website seems to be going crazy today... my original post posted 4 times (deleted now, sorry if that annoyed anyone!), looks like you are having the same problem MACakes. Good luck with your cake as well! Let me know how yours goes, I'm quite nervous about transporting this thing as well, as its going to another city 1.5 hours away. Eek!

I am planning on doing a border at each tier, but just a simple ribbon border. The bride wants this cake to be pretty simple. I've stacked my pans upside down to see how it looks, but its hard for me to judge since the pans are only 2" tall and the finished tiers will each me 4 inches. Maybe going with the bigger sizes would be safer for aesthetic reasons? I'm just nervous about having to deal with a 16" tier to be honest! Laying down the first layer would be no problem, but putting the second layer on the filling has me a bit scared! If anyone has any tips on moving around a 16" cake layer without it falling apart, that would be very helpful as well.

Thanks!

jennicake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks!

jennicake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 13

Renaejrk - it needs to serve 120 ppl, and there is no other dessert so the slices of cake need to be a decent size. I'm thinking of adding a 6" tier on top if I go the 8/10/12 route (8" seems to wide to be a top tier IMO), and will be making an extra sheet cake if necessary.

Renaejrk Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #11 of 13

yeah, I like 6" for a topper too! there are good serving charts in the gallery, you should check them out!

these are all 1"x 2" - wedding slices - big enough because they are at least 4" tall
12" - 56 servings
10" - 42 servings
8" - 28 servings

= 126 servings (don't count top - anniversary cake)
Others have different servings listed - this is from the chart in the gallery - but they are pretty close to the same

If you are only putting on ribbon as a border, a 1" area difference isn't a big deal - it should look great!

briannastreats Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #12 of 13

I like the 6/8/10/12 combo also... Here's one I did if that helps any... Except that I twisted the tiers, per bride's request.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289681

jennicake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you both, that helps a lot. Brianna, that picture really helps as my cake will be similar... ribbon border with some simple scrollwork on the sides. That is a beautiful cake btw, love the roses on the corners icon_smile.gif

Back to the kitchen I go... my ganache is sitting impatiently waiting to be used... looks amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%