Baking Ahead

Decorating By ebrookem Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 7:10am by Liz-81

ebrookem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebrookem Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure this has been covered, but my searches aren't pulling anything.

I'm hosting a b-day party on Friday. The last batch of cakes is in the oven as I type. I've wrapped the first batch in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. One Yahoo answers page I found said to put a HOT cake directly into the freezer to keep it moist. Other answers said to let them cool completely (this is what I did because I did it before searching.) Some answers said to decorate frozen, while others said to let thaw before decorating. What about leveling? I was so tired when I finished last night that I stuck them in the freezer unleveled. It seems like it would be easier to level them frozen, anyway. I'm not very good at leveling! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, TIA!

3 replies
AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 4

I almost asked something similar, so here's a bump. Anyone know how long a cake will keep in the freezer? Is 3 weeks too long?

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrookem

I'm sure this has been covered, but my searches aren't pulling anything.

I'm hosting a b-day party on Friday. The last batch of cakes is in the oven as I type. I've wrapped the first batch in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. One Yahoo answers page I found said to put a HOT cake directly into the freezer to keep it moist. Other answers said to let them cool completely (this is what I did because I did it before searching.) Some answers said to decorate frozen, while others said to let thaw before decorating. What about leveling? I was so tired when I finished last night that I stuck them in the freezer unleveled. It seems like it would be easier to level them frozen, anyway. I'm not very good at leveling! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, TIA!

I always freeze mine, I take them out of pans and put on cooling rack, after cooled completely I wrap in grocery bags from each end and tie. Then I level them frozen as well as decorate them. This makes it so much easier for me. Less crumbs too. I do not keep them any longer than 2 weeks in the freezer. I have had really good luck with this process too.

Hope this helps

Liz-81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz-81 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:10am
post #4 of 4

I keep them in the freezer for months...have one there now, that has been sitting since x-mas. Just in case somethin comes up, i can defrost a cake and decorate in a hurry..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%