If You've Ever Said, "i Wouldn't Pay That Much For A Ca

Business By indydebi Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm by indydebi

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 13

...then you need to read this article: http://www.needmoney.com/2009/04/dont-fall-into-the-trap-of-thinking-that-your-customer-is-like-you/

While it's subject is web design and advertising, we can draw some very good advice from it.

For example, the part about "don't talk in industry technical terms". I learned this lesson myself by using "filling" and "icing" with brides/clients. I *NOW* insert into my opening statement a definition of what I'm going to talk about by telling them ".... 'icing' is what we call it when it's on the outside of the cake. 'Filling' is what we call it when it's on the inside, between the layers of cake."

I've not had any confusing issues on these terms since I recognized that even tho' *I* knew the difference, the client had no idea that the same icing could be called 2 different things, depending on where it was placed.

Another good lesson is the reference to if you're a 20-something and the client is a baby boomer and you think the client will like the same thing you do, and vice versa. This is a very easy trap to fall into.

It's just a good read that I thought I'd share.

12 replies
countrycakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 13

thumbs_up.gif EXCELLENT read! Thanks for sharing....you are right...I know that I tend to use the 'filling/icing' terms the same way....just think that everyone else knows what I am talking about. icon_lol.gif

Mindy1975 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 13

That's a nice quick read Debi. Thanks. Nice insight to think about next time I have a tasting. I have a hard time with the uncomfortable silence going on during a tasting. Sometimes I think the bride is just wanting me to put on this whole presentation the entire time they are there. And I really want them to talk more! Some times they are just so quiet, and I can't tell what they want! lolTell me EVERYTHING and EVERY ASPECT of design they are thinking about so they can see what works, but I always feel like I"m totally crawling inside their head and practically searching to rip the ideas out of their skull! lol Oh well, each tasting gets better, and I seem to be pleasing people, so I will take it as it comes and keep improving. lol

Mindy1975 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 13

That's a nice quick read Debi. Thanks. Nice insight to think about next time I have a tasting. I have a hard time with the uncomfortable silence going on during a tasting. Sometimes I think the bride is just wanting me to put on this whole presentation the entire time they are there. And I really want them to talk more! Some times they are just so quiet, and I can't tell what they want! lolTell me EVERYTHING and EVERY ASPECT of design they are thinking about so they can see what works, but I always feel like I"m totally crawling inside their head and practically searching to rip the ideas out of their skull! lol Oh well, each tasting gets better, and I seem to be pleasing people, so I will take it as it comes and keep improving. lol

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 13

indydebi,

You're amazing, you continue to blow me out of the water with your kindness. By posting this article you are helping thousands of people improve their business. I've been in the food business for 30 years and read every motivational book and article you can think of and have tried to share those ideas with my employees, but never in a forum such as this. I would have never thought of that!!! Even at my old age I'm still learning, thanx for sharing that article, it was a good shot in the arm for me, sometimes us oldies get set in our ways. If I ever get to your home state, hope I get to meet you

Kelly/Omaha, Ne.

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 13

indydebi,

You're amazing, you continue to blow me out of the water with your kindness. By posting this article you are helping thousands of people improve their business. I've been in the food business for 30 years and read every motivational book and article you can think of and have tried to share those ideas with my employees, but never in a forum such as this. I would have never thought of that!!! Even at my old age I'm still learning, thanx for sharing that article, it was a good shot in the arm for me, sometimes us oldies get set in our ways. If I ever get to your home state, hope I get to meet you

Kelly/Omaha, Ne.

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 13

indydebi,

Kelly/Omaha, Ne.

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 13

uh, I did not post that 3 times, I believe there is a web site or computor problem????

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 13

uh, I did not post that 3 times, I believe there is a web site or computor problem????

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 13

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 13

globalgatherings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 13

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

If I ever get to your home state, hope I get to meet you

I'll hold you to it! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%