If You've Ever Said, "i Wouldn't Pay That Much For A Ca

Business By indydebi Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm by playingwithsugar

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

...then you need to read this article: http://www.needmoney.com/2009/04/dont-fall-into-the-trap-of-thinking-that-your-customer-is-like-you/

While it's subject is web design and advertising, we can draw some very good advice from it.

For example, the part about "don't talk in industry technical terms". I learned this lesson myself by using "filling" and "icing" with brides/clients. I *NOW* insert into my opening statement a definition of what I'm going to talk about by telling them ".... 'icing' is what we call it when it's on the outside of the cake. 'Filling' is what we call it when it's on the inside, between the layers of cake."

I've not had any confusing issues on these terms since I recognized that even tho' *I* knew the difference, the client had no idea that the same icing could be called 2 different things, depending on where it was placed.

Another good lesson is the reference to if you're a 20-something and the client is a baby boomer and you think the client will like the same thing you do, and vice versa. This is a very easy trap to fall into.

It's just a good read that I thought I'd share.

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 5

good advice!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 5

I learned about this when I trained others on a job I worked at for a few years, and I agree whole-heartedly that you have to explain things as though people are totally clueless as to what you're talking about, without making them feel stupid. It's harder than it sounds.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 5

I learned about this when I trained others on a job I worked at for a few years, and I agree whole-heartedly that you have to explain things as though people are totally clueless as to what you're talking about, without making them feel stupid. It's harder than it sounds.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 5

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%