Tacky/sticky Tops

Decorating By GayeG Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm by GayeG

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if someone can tell me how to eliminate my cake tops from getting tacky/sticky (while cooling) .... Ive only been having this prob for about 2 months - since the humidity got crazy .. could that be playing a part? Or am I doing something wrong in the baking process???

TIA!!
Gaye

15 replies
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 16

Are they on the cooling rack top-side-up or top-side-down?
Do you trim/level them before they start to cool?
Do you elevate the cooling racks so there is 3-4" of space between the cake and the counter?

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 16

Top (sticky top I should say!) side up
no - I wait till they are completely cool
And Yes ...

Any suggestions?

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 16

Wow, you just shot down all the theories I had, so I'm going to go with it's the humidity! icon_eek.gif Sorry I'm just useless on this one! dunce.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 16

I've read several posts where people don't prefer the tacky/sticky tops. I'm just wondering why, because I always thought it meant the cake was super moist (especially the WASC) and thought of it as a good thing that will go totally un-noticed once it's crumb coated and iced. I'm just wondering if those sticky tops are posing a problem. Thanks.

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 16

I've read several posts where people don't prefer the tacky/sticky tops. I'm just wondering why, because I always thought it meant the cake was super moist (especially the WASC) and thought of it as a good thing that will go totally un-noticed once it's crumb coated and iced. I'm just wondering if those sticky tops are posing a problem. Thanks.

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 16

Well, Shucks! I got ALL the answers right to my quiz and THATS what I win?! icon_wink.gif

* Your "never" useless in my eyes Debi! *

And if you think of anything (beside the humidity that is!) ... please come back! This mystery will keep me searching icon_smile.gif

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 16

Its really not been a problem - I can live with it or without .. I certainly like the thought thats its becasue my cake is so yummy moist icon_wink.gif
Its really not an issue with it posing a problem - but have you ever seen a cake once its cut that had the sticky top?? There's like a very thin (brown) gooey line of cake (I dont know how to differently explain that) And I think it "looks" horrible - esp w/a light colored cake ..
Of course I could remedy that by cutting off the top b4 flipping it to the bottom - and thats what I've been doing since this started ..
But Im a very curious person by nature .. and like to know WHY certain things are like they are so I can rememdy them IF I choose icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 16

Is it like a cake skin? Sometimes the humidity will cause the cake to for a skin on the open top of a cake. It will peel off and be no bother. The main reason is the cake steam is not allowed to escape and the humidity on the outside is high, and then you end up sticky.

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 16

Is it like a cake skin? Sometimes the humidity will cause the cake to for a skin on the open top of a cake. It will peel off and be no bother. The main reason is the cake steam is not allowed to escape and the humidity on the outside is high, and then you end up sticky.

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 16

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 16

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 16

Yes - Yes - Yes - and Yes!! That would certainly explain it! Now the question is: Is there any way to "prevent" it? Other than turning down my air conditioning to 45! (And freezing my Ta Ta's off!)

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 16

Okay, makes sense to me. I've baked cakes for years, but just now really getting into the "nitty gritty" of it. Since I became a CC member, i'm learning SO much about people's preferences about texture, color, density, crumb and all of that. I'm one of those funny people that likes dense, sticky, moist, "wet" cake with brown skins, as long as it's done all the way thru...LOL Until now, I've lived by the motto, "if i like the cake, anybody should like it." I'm learning every day.

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:26pm
post #15 of 16

Okay, makes sense to me. I've baked cakes for years, but just now really getting into the "nitty gritty" of it. Since I became a CC member, i'm learning SO much about people's preferences about texture, color, density, crumb and all of that. I'm one of those funny people that likes dense, sticky, moist, "wet" cake with brown skins, as long as it's done all the way thru...LOL Until now, I've lived by the motto, "if i like the cake, anybody should like it." I'm learning every day.

GayeG Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 16

Call me funny to, because (and DONT tell anybody) but I eat that sticky top when I cut it off! icon_wink.gif I "personally" love it too! BUT I DONT like the way it looks in my white or yellow colored cakes .. esp. if its white on white ...

As yes - Dee .. Everybody has a preference, and does things diff. Thats what makes our world so great .. I mean if EVERYONE loved that dense, wet cake like "we" do, then we'd never get any!!!
I hope I NEVER quit learning icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%