Just About Ready To Give Up

Baking By dinie Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 1:14am by MACakes

dinie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 10

Yesterday I baked a cake and forgot to put oil in and this morning baked the chocolate cake to go with the order for a black and white cake. Did the wasc cake baked it for 1 hour and 15 minutes the skrew came out clean took it out of the oven put it on cooling rack went to turn it out and it had sunk in the middle. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!! I hope to be able to salvage this cake, I will be filling the chocolate cake with ganache, the white cake will be filled with buttercream.
PLEASE HELP!!! What am I doing wrong that it sunk.

Diane

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 10

What temperature are you baking at? Sometime if you bake too high once the cool air hit the cake it sinks.I bake at 325 on convection especially my white cakes as 350 is to high and burns them...try baking for longer as well just to be sure .Bummer...You might be able to use the white cake providing it is cooked all the way through...

dinie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 10

I baked it at 325 with 2 flower nails in it. The cake that I did yesterday baked great, it was the white cake without the oil just not sure if it will be dry because of no oil. I had p/m Macsmom and she said that it should be okay. Now I'm just not sure about the chocolate cake since it sunk. It get expensive with all the extra's that you add to it as far as all the extra's to make them. I really don't want to bake 2 more cakes.

Diane

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 10

if it didn,t sink too much.. i think you will be fine.. mine does that a lot.. it looks perfectly fine. i test it with the cake tester. then in a little bit is has sank some.. when you torte it.. then dam and fill it. and then ice the cake. make sure you add a little more icing at that point. i do it all the time. it shoudl be fine... hth

icer101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 10

if it didn,t sink too much.. i think you will be fine.. mine does that a lot.. it looks perfectly fine. i test it with the cake tester. then in a little bit is has sank some.. when you torte it.. then dam and fill it. and then ice the cake. make sure you add a little more icing at that point. i do it all the time. it shoudl be fine... hth

icer101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 10

icer101 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 10

dinie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for your reply. Why is it that white cakes bake great and then you do a chocolate it seems always to sink. I have not had any white cakes to sink so I'm sure I just jinxed myself. I hope the customer does not mind a little extra ganache in the middle because I sure would not. But thats me I love a great chocolate cake the last one that I did it was for a friend and he would not share the chocolate cake that was leftover after the party. He kept it in the frig when he would get ready to eat it he would put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and the chocolate would get like a fudge sauce and eat it with a big glass of milk.

Diane

dinie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for your reply. Why is it that white cakes bake great and then you do a chocolate it seems always to sink. I have not had any white cakes to sink so I'm sure I just jinxed myself. I hope the customer does not mind a little extra ganache in the middle because I sure would not. But thats me I love a great chocolate cake the last one that I did it was for a friend and he would not share the chocolate cake that was leftover after the party. He kept it in the frig when he would get ready to eat it he would put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and the chocolate would get like a fudge sauce and eat it with a big glass of milk.

Diane

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 10

If you are doing a choc version of WASC try using the whole egg instead of just the whites. I find that works much better. 6 whole eggs for the full recipe or 3 for 1/2 a recipe. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%