Can I Make Cake Batter Ahead?

Decorating By anricat Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 9:10pm by Liz-81

anricat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 11

I want to make some 4th of July cupcakes to take to a party on Saturday evening. The trouble is I have a zillion things to do and I was thinking if I could make the batter today (Wednesday) it would save me some time Friday when I actually need to bake the cupcakes. Can I make the batter now and put it in my fridge until Friday or will strange things happen?

10 replies
artscallion Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 11

copied from a post I made last week on this subject...

"...this DOES NOT WORK for all cakes! This, specifically WILL NOT WORK for cakes that use baking soda alone, as opposed to the ones mentioned here that use baking powder.

Baking powder uses heat to activate its leavening actions. So it can generally be prepared ahead without fear. One caveat is that most baking powder available today is 'double acting'. This means that in addition to the leavening that is activated by heat, it also contains a leavening element that is activated by liquid. So as soon as it is mixed with liquid, leavening happens.

So with double acting baking powder, it will only give you the benefits of single acting baking powder if you make it ahead of time and don't bake it right away. Your cake will rise, but not as much as it would have if you had baked it right away.

If you normally use single acting baking powder anyway, delayed baking will change nothing.

Baking soda, on the other hand, ONLY reacts when mixed with a liquid. It must be baked right away or all the leavening will happen before baking, causing bubbles to form and rise to the top of the batter where they escape into the air. No second leavening will happen when heating occurs.

Baking soda alone is generally found in recipes where another acidic ingredient is present, such as chocolate, cocoa (non-dutch processed) buttermilk, etc"

tiggerjo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 11

Artscallion...thanks for the lesson, I did not know any of this.

anricat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 11

Indeed! Very informative! It's chocolate with baking soda and non-Dutch processed cocoa so there goes that.

I guess I'll just get everything I can ready to go - dry ingredients measured and mixed, etc.

Liz-81 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 11

Cupcakes generally freeze well, so may I suggest making the cupcakes today, freeze, and defrost friday morning (defrosts dast) and decorate then?

mbt4955 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 11

I remember reading about someone who freezes her cake batter in the pans - even cupcakes - and bakes them as she needs them. Said she baked at the same temperature, but it took a few minutes longer. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't yet. I don't know if I could ever find the thread again, but maybe someone who does this will post.

anricat Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

If I freeze them, do I need to individually wrap each one in plastic wrap or can I just them in a tupperwear or a big baggie or something?

tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 11

Indydebi froze batter (cake mix) in the pan then baked it. Send her a pm for directions. I don't know if it would work for scratch recipes.

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with baking them now and freezing them, then thaw when you need them. It seems like a lot of extra problems trying to freeze the batter, when you could just freeze the cupcakes! lol

mbt4955 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 11

I hate to post anything because of the multiple posting issue, but ... I searched for the original thread, but couldn't find it. I did find one where someone (I meant to write down her name and forgot to icon_sad.gif) froze cake batter in the cupcake papers, then baked them at the regular temperature. I don't see any reason for you to individually wrap them to freeze. I would probably double bag them in Ziplock freezer bags so that I could get most of the air out.

I know the original poster froze in her cake pans. I don't have enough pans to leave them in my freezer though. icon_smile.gif

HTH.

Liz-81 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 11

I don't know about freezing batter, but if you freeze the finished cupcakes, you just wait until they cool off compleately (to make sure you don't get ice on them...that'll make them soggy), and put them in a thing of tupperware or a plastic bag. no need to seperate them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%