To Make Red Velvet? I've Never Even Tasted It.

Decorating By sweetsadiecakes Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm by bakermommy4

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:25am
post #1 of 16

I'm making a 4th of July cake and want the cake layers to be white and red with blue whipped icing. I've never tasted red velvet. Will it go well with a doctored white cake mix and whipped icing filling? Please, any imput will be greatly appreciated! These crazy cake ideas keep me up at night icon_cry.gif (a lot!)

15 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:42am
post #2 of 16

I don't really know about red velvet (I'm on the same boat as you) but I've read here on the forums that people make red cake from regular white cake just with red food coloring, americolor super red won't give you an aftertaste. HTH

miny Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:43am
post #3 of 16

I don't really know about red velvet (I'm on the same boat as you) but I've read here on the forums that people make red cake from regular white cake just with red food coloring, americolor super red won't give you an aftertaste. HTH

miny Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:44am
post #4 of 16

miny Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:45am
post #5 of 16

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:57am
post #6 of 16

Red velvet has a little hint of cocoa in it...though it's not a chocolate cake and doesn't quite taste like chocolate it still has a little chocolate taste to it. I think it will go good with white cake mix. Also the only reason it's red is because of the coloring...you could use the same white cake recipe you're using for your other layers and color it red and not have to use a red velvet recipe.

The red velvet recipe calls for vinegar and buttermilk, cocoa, red coloring and some other stuff...not near my recipe box sorry...but, you could definitely just color the white mix. I did it for my daughters birthday...used white cake recipe and the layers were lime green, hot pink, and orange (darn 10 year olds and their weird colors nowadays.). It worked out great!!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:27am
post #7 of 16

Here is MacsMom's recipe for red velvet using white cake mix.

Red Velvet Cake - MacsMom *If you don't have 100 mouths to feed, lol, just use 1 box white and measure out 1/2 of the chocolate cake mix, and obviously use half of all the other ingredients.
2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring
2 (1oz) jars Wilton red-red

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:19am
post #8 of 16

DH also has ared velvet box mix. I've used it several times and it is really good.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:33am
post #9 of 16

I would not go to the trouble of making red velvet for one layer. It doesn't even really have a distinctively good flavor. I vote for just coloring white cake with red coloring.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:57am
post #10 of 16

Personally, I love red velvet cake. I make mine from scratch and it always gets rave reviews. I must admit though, i always use a cream cheese frosting which enhances the flavour of the cake.
Perhaps colouring a white cake would be better in this case ???

katielb Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:00am
post #11 of 16

Personally, I love red velvet cake. I make mine from scratch and it always gets rave reviews. I must admit though, i always use a cream cheese frosting which enhances the flavour of the cake.

katielb Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:01am
post #12 of 16

katielb Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:04am
post #13 of 16

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 16

Sarah's Red Velvet Tweaked cake recipe in here is great! That's the one I use.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 16

That's another thing...red velvet from scratch may not be something you want to tackle on an actual "cake" order. You should practice it from scratch and see if you can get it...or you can go with the box version and tweak it.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 16

That's another thing...red velvet from scratch may not be something you want to tackle on an actual "cake" order. You should practice it from scratch and see if you can get it...or you can go with the box version and tweak it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%