To Make Red Velvet? I've Never Even Tasted It.

Decorating By sweetsadiecakes Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm by Criola

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a 4th of July cake and want the cake layers to be white and red with blue whipped icing. I've never tasted red velvet. Will it go well with a doctored white cake mix and whipped icing filling? Please, any imput will be greatly appreciated! These crazy cake ideas keep me up at night icon_cry.gif (a lot!)

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

I like it. It should go well with what you've picked. I usually do the red velvet with the cream cheese icing or cream cheese bc icing. It actually has a chocolate base to it but use good quality red food coloring, or DH box mix, as sometimes the red can make it bitter. I also use buttermilk in mine.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 6

I like it. It should go well with what you've picked. I usually do the red velvet with the cream cheese icing or cream cheese bc icing. It actually has a chocolate base to it but use good quality red food coloring, or DH box mix, as sometimes the red can make it bitter. I also use buttermilk in mine.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 6

I've done it and everyone liked, I've used both cream cheese and buttercream icing...red velvet tastes like chocolate cake to me

Criola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 6

I've done it and everyone liked, I've used both cream cheese and buttercream icing...red velvet tastes like chocolate cake to me

Criola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%