Bloggers!! Aahhhhh!!!!

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm by Yayaism

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #31 of 49

I actually DO know a bride who baked her own wedding cake and we're all still talking about it. It was the worst thing we've ever tasted.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:27pm
post #32 of 49

I actually DO know a bride who baked her own wedding cake and we're all still talking about it. It was the worst thing we've ever tasted.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #33 of 49

Hey can't wait for one of those make your own car courses. lmao Please, do you really think a bride has time to sit there and make a cake yet alone a nice, atleast presentable for a wedding? I see this DVD set or book, whatever it is, pop up on alot of cake sites for some reason. I also think they're getting paid for it. I wouldn't do it even if I was desperately needing money. Sad, I don't consider myself an awesome cake decorator or even a pro but I can tell you that if I had never made a cake in my life and wanted a nice (CHEAP) wedding cake I wouldn't go that route.

Yayaism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yayaism Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:45pm
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndSheBakes

Has anyone actually seen a bride, who was not all ready a cake decorator, that baked her own wedding cake ? I would be very interested in hearing how this turned out.

I did icon_smile.gif It's in my pics (the only wedding cake I've done thus far). It took me 15 hours to decorate it and I got zero sleep the night before my wedding. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Even with all its flaws, I made that cake with my own two hands, for all of the people that are nearest and dearest to me, and it brings smile to my face every time I think of it.

I spent months planning the cake even though we had a very small wedding. I practiced, took classes, bought supplies and researched. In the end, it would have been cheaper just to buy it, but you can't buy that feeling of pride in saying "I made that!"

YAYA

edited for typos

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

That reminded me of a time when I went to a party, and a girl there brought a batch of cupcakes she did as a test for her upcoming wedding cake. She was going to make it by herself and from scratch, something she admitted she'd never done before.

Oh man, they were AWFUL, especially the icing.Turned out that the icing was nothing but powdered sugar and I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter spread. She didn't even put any extracts or flavorings in it! BLECH!!!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

If you notice the link her blog takes you to in the body of her writings, it's to a clickbank. So she gets a percentage for each person who signs up for this ebook though her site.

On another note, I wonder how long it will take Wilton to find the ebook. They really frown on anyone using their name when teaching (that includes showing their product). This person could get a nasty gram from the big W.

I went to a couple of other 'articles' and every one had a link to something for sale, or some service for brides. So I agree with sweetflowers about the clickbank comment. She (or even He) is writing for the advertiser...and badly at that...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #37 of 49

Wow that woman is nuts! You can't teach someone to make a professional cake in a week or two. They would have to start a year or two in advance.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #38 of 49

Here's a profile in cake courage for you. I have a friend who lives in Guatemala. She was never a cake decorator, but wanted to make her own wedding cake. She came into NYC to visit family, and took the wedding cake course at ICE while she was here. Did I mention that she got married last August, in Guatemala? We're talking humidity and equatorial temperatures. I admire her determination.

And the cake turned out impressively.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #39 of 49

Here's a profile in cake courage for you. I have a friend who lives in Guatemala. She was never a cake decorator, but wanted to make her own wedding cake. She came into NYC to visit family, and took the wedding cake course at ICE while she was here. Did I mention that she got married last August, in Guatemala? We're talking humidity and equatorial temperatures. I admire her determination.

And the cake turned out impressively.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #40 of 49

I love that blog style me pretty. A bride not only made her own wedding cake but she also made cookies, brownies and lemon squares. Her set up was oh-so-pretty. The more I read that blog the more I wonder about whether wedding cakes are really as important as they seem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:55pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

I love that blog style me pretty. A bride not only made her own wedding cake but she also made cookies, brownies and lemon squares. Her set up was oh-so-pretty. The more I read that blog the more I wonder about whether wedding cakes are really as important as they seem.

It's the only food that is wedding food. You don't have wedding chicken, or wedding salad, but you DO have wedding cake. And the only place to get it is at a wedding.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndSheBakes

Has anyone actually seen a bride, who was not all ready a cake decorator, that baked her own wedding cake ? .

Yes and lots of them too. This is why I don't understand threads like these. I know lots of brides who bake their own cake. They take it very serious and make practise cakes.
They usually turn out very well. Of course not like the pro cakes, but they don't really care, as long as it tastes good. And it usually does - not that hard to bake a good tasting cake.

Don't be so quick to judge... for some it's the kick off into a life long decorating career!

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Yes and lots of them too. This is why I don't understand threads like these. I know lots of brides who bake their own cake. They take it very serious and make practise cakes.

- Define "lots".
- Could be a cultural or country difference.
- I had never heard of doing a practice cake before coming to CC. It never would have crossed my mind to make two wedding cakes and somehow find 100 people to eat the first one. icon_lol.gif (pssst! I've STILL never made a practice cake!)

I just personally can't imagine a bride having the TIME to do her own wedding cake in the day or two before the wedding. What with the rehearsal, the rehearsal dinner, getting everything packed and ready to take to the church, the decorating that's done the day of or the day before, getting hair and nails done the day of ...... I just can't see how she'd squeeze it in. Especially if she's not a decorator to start with and has no idea just how long it REALLY takes. (Because she's read the internet article about how she can bake the 6 layers of cake (3 tiers) in just two hours, and can apply the fondant the morning of the wedding in 30 minutes.!) icon_lol.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

- Define "lots".
- Could be a cultural or country difference.
- I had never heard of doing a practice cake before coming to CC. It never would have crossed my mind to make two wedding cakes and somehow find 100 people to eat the first one. icon_lol.gif (pssst! I've STILL never made a practice cake!)

I just personally can't imagine a bride having the TIME to do her own wedding cake in the day or two before the wedding. What with the rehearsal, the rehearsal dinner, getting everything packed and ready to take to the church, the decorating that's done the day of or the day before, getting hair and nails done the day of ...... I just can't see how she'd squeeze it in. Especially if she's not a decorator to start with and has no idea just how long it REALLY takes. (Because she's read the internet article about how she can bake the 6 layers of cake (3 tiers) in just two hours, and can apply the fondant the morning of the wedding in 30 minutes.!) icon_lol.gif

Well just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it can't be done icon_wink.gif obviously they don't make practise cakes for 100 people - they make one tier and usually use floating tiers for the wedding cake itself.
And of course you don't make practise cakes - you already know how to make decorated cakes, so no need!

How many "many" is, I don't know. They don't make statistics. Enough to keep the wedding-cake classes full.
It might be a cultural difference of course. Homebaking is more common here. We don't have rehearsal dinners either.

However, I am merely objecting to the tone, like brides are the stupidest creatures on Earth that will believe what any ole internet article tells you. Maybe THAT is a cultural difference too.

icon_wink.gif

And yes, I baked my own wedding cake. I enjoyed it.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

indydebi, i watch this show called married away about destination weddings. and in one episode the bride actually made her dress, like hand stitched and everything! I think they were in Italy and she couldn't go sight seeing or whatever because she had to finish making her dress and my reaction was, "WHO MAKES THEIR OWN WEDDING DRESS????" apparently, she did.

Actually, I have every intention of making my own wedding dress, just like I made my prom dress. My prom dress had fabric my father brought back from Turkey 35 years ago, and my mother and my grandmother and I all worked on it together, so it's extra-special as well as beautiful and totally unique.

Of course, making my own dress is also why my engagement will be a VERY LONG one, because I estimate it will take about two years to make the gown that I want. icon_lol.gif I hope I get a patient fiance!

Also, will NOT make my own wedding cake for stress reasons. Would be perfectly willing to make a wedding cake, just not for my own wedding, not when I have to manage so many OTHER things, too. But I've met a few people who have made their own cakes, with varying results.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #46 of 49

I guess I'll wade in here.......way back in 1980 for my first marriage, I was young and fearless. I loved to do crafty things, parents were always fixing things around the house (DIY-ers before it was 'cool'), sewed some of my own clothes, curtains etc. Baked a little but not like I do today. One grandmother English, another Irish...many of the traditions followed to Canada. To them, and my Mum, wedding cake was fruit cake with marzipan icing - and my grandma insisted on making it. For the pictures we thought "why can't we make a dummy?". So I bought piping bags, tips, the dummies, a few premade sugar flowers, some books, and a topper and proceeded to teach myself to make a nice little cake. I *think* but can't recall exactly that it was two squares, shell borders, cornelli lace (easy for a beginner) and pink roses.

The caterer served regular desserts at the luncheon, Grandma proudly cut the fruitcake in little pieces for everyone to dream on, and we got our pictures (which I doubt I can find now) and everyone was happy.

If I could find them, I'd like to see how it looks as I didn't come back to decorating till a couple of years ago. Hope it wasn't the cake, but that marriage did not last...and I eloped with my dear dear DH three years ago so no second cake.

indydebi Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Well just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it can't be done icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I give you points for this one, 'coz I'm always saying something very similar to folks! Sometimes I just need to pay attention to myself! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #48 of 49

I'm honestly surprised it never occurred to me to try making my own wedding cake. After all, my mom, grandma and aunts made my dress (bit of tradition in that one). I did my flowers (because I'm a control freak and had seen one too many weddings with brown flowers---but I started college life as a Hort. major and took my share of floral arranging classes). And also folded 1,000 frickin' origami cranes (because I had seen it on Northern Exposure and thought it was cool).

My wedding was exactly what I wanted, but it's also because I didn't do the catering and cake, too. Gotta let the professionals handle the worrying on some of it!

I did stick a few origami cranes on the cake, though. icon_lol.gif

Yayaism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yayaism Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm
post #49 of 49

When I did my cake I didn't have much along the lines of decorating experience, but I did have a long history of DIY projects. I've taught myself to knit, do calligraphy, replaces the brakes on my car (and the battery, starter, tires and radiator as well), build a computer and drive a stick shift. I always enjoyed challenging myself and learning new skills.

I did make several practice cakes. Were they 4 tiered replicas of my wedding cake? No. They were small cakes made using the recipes and techniques that I planned to use for my cake. Once you learn the component parts, putting them all together is a lot easier.

I find it pretty disheartening that so many people on here would discourage a bride that wanted to make her own cake. It's a big undertaking, yes, but far from impossible. Maybe it's just me, but I've always been one to encourage others to believe in themselves. You'll never know what you can achieve if you don't try.

Anyway, that's my bucks worth, cuz I'm all out of pennies today.

YAYA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%