Bloggers!! Aahhhhh!!!!

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 8:35pm by Yayaism

Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:52am
post #1 of 49

Check out what this blogger writes! I commented that I thought it was a horrible idea, and I apologize if I have offended the girl, but it is truly a horrible idea! Let's see if the comments show up...
http://www.ninaweddings.com/blog/?p=322

48 replies
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:23am
post #2 of 49

I think she deleted your post

KawaiiCakeCook Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:24am
post #3 of 49

I think she deleted your post

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 49

Makes you wonder if she was paid to promote the ebook...

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:29am
post #5 of 49

Makes you wonder if she was paid to promote the ebook...

KacieMeredith Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:50am
post #6 of 49

Well hopefully anybody that reads it will completely dismiss her like I did. She had two spelling errors, and it is only because spell check recognized them as other words so she obviously doesnt proof read. I dont care when I see an error on a post here or a message from a friend, but if you are posting a blog you should really take more pride in work.

Im with texas rose...I bet she got paid...

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:51am
post #7 of 49

I'm with Texas Rose, she probably was paid to promote the ebook. I'm sure she'll get a percentage of every purchase made through her blog. I didn't leave a response but I agree that it's a terrible idea to talk a bride into trying to do her own wedding cake. It's a disaster waiting to happen if she doesn't take the time...and it takes tons of time and practice to get it right.

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 49

I recently blogged a very different opinion on the same subject. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.weddingaces.com/2009/06/a-diy-wedding-cake/

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 49

I recently blogged a very different opinion on the same subject. icon_biggrin.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 49

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 49

I like her article and even left her a little comment about how I appreciate her not downsizing the role of the cake decorator and what it really takes to bake and design a wedding cake. I thought her article was well written and I appreciate it.

It's a breath of fresh air from the articles that say "anyone can learn to make sugar flowers, all it takes is a little practice"...or " you can save so much money by blah, blah, blah, do it yourself, blah, blah, blah.

Edited to add: What a complete IDIOT I am...I just noticed that the blog was written by you duh, duh, duh....another dumb blonde moment ( no offense to any of my fellow blonde cakers lol)

Great article.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 49

I like her article and even left her a little comment about how I appreciate her not downsizing the role of the cake decorator and what it really takes to bake and design a wedding cake. I thought her article was well written and I appreciate it.

It's a breath of fresh air from the articles that say "anyone can learn to make sugar flowers, all it takes is a little practice"...or " you can save so much money by blah, blah, blah, do it yourself, blah, blah, blah.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 49

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 49

cocorum21 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

LOVE your article!

cocorum21 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

LOVE your article!

-AndSheBakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:42am
post #17 of 49

Has anyone actually seen a bride, who was not all ready a cake decorator, that baked her own wedding cake ? I would be very interested in hearing how this turned out. There seems to be a rash of blogs out there promoting the DIY cake idea, but I can't imagine it working out very well.

If she had actually given some instructions on how to make the cake and a practice schedule etc. then I would take the post more seriously. This particular post reads like an advertisement to me.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #18 of 49

Geesh, I'm still trying to find just ONE article that tells a bride to make her own dress because "....it's JUST material and thread!" And how hard can it be to sew a straight line connecting two pieces of material? Pin some flowers to her waist to hide the bad spot and ka-ZAM! You got a wedding dress!

BUt I guess the bridal magazines just have too much "invested" with the dress designers and they don't want to pi$$ those guys off! icon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:27am
post #19 of 49

indydebi, i watch this show called married away about destination weddings. and in one episode the bride actually made her dress, like hand stitched and everything! I think they were in Italy and she couldn't go sight seeing or whatever because she had to finish making her dress and my reaction was, "WHO MAKES THEIR OWN WEDDING DRESS????" apparently, she did.

1234me Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:33am
post #20 of 49

has anyone actually gone to the link for the actual book? You can see pictures of examples people have done after buying the book. Looks to me like the last picture has some airbrushing on it - so you just happened to be a first time cake decorator with an air brush and knew exactly how to use it! HMMMMMM

giraffe11 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:53am
post #21 of 49

The blog is very poorly written and makes very little sense.....not just the cake part, but other parts as well. It is really awful. I also wonder how many modern brides will appreciate phrases like "chance to show the inlaws what they have invested in"............. last I knew the bride was a person, not a commodity.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:06pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

has anyone actually gone to the link for the actual book? You can see pictures of examples people have done after buying the book. Looks to me like the last picture has some airbrushing on it - so you just happened to be a first time cake decorator with an air brush and knew exactly how to use it! HMMMMMM

Yeah, I did. And I was thinking, "these just dont' look like your average Suzy Homemaker Never Took A Lesson First Time Cakes." Smooth icing, evenly spaced borders, and those cascading roses? Not saying it's not possible .... but I also didn't see any disclaimer about "Results are not typical ... your cake may look different" (like they have on those weight loss commercials! icon_lol.gif )

mkm25 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #23 of 49

The whole idea of DIY wedding cakes sounds horrible - I'm still a newlywed (2 years) and I can't imagine having done my own cake! Perhaps some people thrive on that kind of stress, but I'd rather worry about my hair and make up on the big day than the delivery of the cake!

Anyway, I'm making a nautical-themed cake for a nonprofit fundraiser in a couple of weeks. I really like the looks of the blue cake on that blog - it looks like waves. Does anyone have any recommendations for how I can recreate something like that? Thanks!

sweetflowers Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 49

If you notice the link her blog takes you to in the body of her writings, it's to a clickbank. So she gets a percentage for each person who signs up for this ebook though her site.

On another note, I wonder how long it will take Wilton to find the ebook. They really frown on anyone using their name when teaching (that includes showing their product). This person could get a nasty gram from the big W.

CeeTee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #25 of 49

DIY cakes and dresses is not always a disaster waiting to happen. One of my friends made her wedding dress. She didn't do it because of money costs, but because she had a very specific style in mind that's currently not en vouge for off-the-rack bridal wear.

She didn't make her wedding cake though, PieceOfCakeAZ did! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

miss-tiff Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #26 of 49

I loved PieceofCakeAZ's article. The Nina's Bad Wedding Advice one, not so much. That was brutal to read! I can't imagine trying a wedding cake without ANY background knowledge. I'm picturing my first cake from the very first Wilton class I took. The irregular stars, the squiggly writing... ah, the memories. But I took it home and ate it with my husband; I didn't show it off to 250+ guests and start my married life with it. icon_wink.gif

mom2abc Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #27 of 49

I thought I would make my own wedding cake (about 10 years ago) but quickly lost interest because of how much time it was going to take. I bought a set from Wilton and made some buttercream roses. We ended up freezing the 20 roses and eating them like candy. I cannot imagine how stressed I would have been if I had to deal with a cake! I would have been a crazy OCD bridezilla!

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #28 of 49

I'm always surprised but those that post on here wanting to do a cool whimsy cake for their own wedding, then as you ask questions you realize that you are talking to someone that has never made a wedding cake or let alone a nice decorated cake. People are crazy sometimes.

I've been doing cakes for years, and have done a few wedding cakes as long as some other tiered cakes. At this point unless I just have a very small, simple, informal wedding, I'm not doing my own wedding cake.

indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'm always surprised but those that post on here wanting to do a cool whimsy cake for their own wedding, then as you ask questions you realize that you are talking to someone that has never made a wedding cake or let alone a nice decorated cake. People are crazy sometimes.

OMG those threads crack me up!! But at least they decide against doing the volcano cake with the monkey band crawling up the side for the groom's cake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #30 of 49

PieceofCakeAZ......Loved your Blog!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%