Can I Double A Cake Recipe?

Decorating By pattiverde Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 5:22am by pattiverde

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 19

Hi all!

Can most scratch cake recipes be doubled without changing the outcome of the cake? I need to make a 12" cake with the Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake recipe and a 10" cake with the Cooks Illustrated White Cake recipe. Can I just double all the ingredients? Or must I make two individual batches of each?

Thanks!!
icon_smile.gif patti

18 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 19

As long as your mixer is large enough it should be fine

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 19

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #4 of 19

funtomake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 19

i love the hershey's recipe. i have baked that cake more times than i can count. and yes i do double it. i have never exceeded doubling. but it works fine doubled without changing anything.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 19

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 19

i love the hershey's recipe. i have baked that cake more times than i can count. and yes i do double it. i have never exceeded doubling. but it works fine doubled without changing anything.

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #8 of 19

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 19

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:58am
post #10 of 19

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #11 of 19

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #12 of 19

Of course you can double the recipe. Just make sure that you double every ingredient. It's really easy to make a mistake if you aren't really focused.

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #13 of 19

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:00am
post #14 of 19

Of course you can double the recipe. Just make sure that you double every ingredient. It's really easy to make a mistake if you aren't really focused.

funtomake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:01am
post #15 of 19

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:01am
post #16 of 19

nadine_n Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:02am
post #17 of 19

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #18 of 19

Doubling is usually OK. More than that can sometimes get a little freaky. Now if it was for home and I needed more, I'd give a bigger batch a try. However, if I depended on it coming out exactly right for a customer or timing wouldn't allow for a redo, i'd go with what I know works.

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #19 of 19

Too funny! Here I was thinking, "wow! 17 replies!" but I think it's 3 or 4 with all those repeat posts. But I'm still super thankful! It sounds like it will work, so I'm going to try it tomorrow. Thanks so much for your replies.

icon_smile.gif patti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%