Tiramisu As A Filling??

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm by jlynnw

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 28

I want to make a filling for chocolate kahlua cake that is like a tiramisu. Maybe I'm wrong but classinc tiramisu how I was taught to make would be not thick enough to make as a filling.

Is there any way that I can make maybe something like tiramisu but thicker? Or should I just give it up and go with something else?

27 replies
bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 28

bump myself

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 28

bump myself

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 28

bump myself

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 28

bump myself

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #6 of 28

Here's a recipe I found. Not sure how thick it is, but you could always use a dam when you fill the cake.

2 c lowfat vanilla yogurt
16 oz cream cheese
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 t unsweetened cocoa

Combine well. mixture should be thick. Spread topping over cake and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Cake would need to remain refreigerated.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #7 of 28

Here's a recipe I found. Not sure how thick it is, but you could always use a dam when you fill the cake.

2 c lowfat vanilla yogurt
16 oz cream cheese
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 t unsweetened cocoa

Combine well. mixture should be thick. Spread topping over cake and sprinkle with cocoa powder. Cake would need to remain refreigerated.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 28

well the thing is that tiramisu itself isnt a filling, its a dessert.
The only way to get the tiramisu taste is to use mascarpone cheese which is a soft creamy cheese.

I don't have a recipe for you but I would say maybe get some mascarpone and do some tests.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 28

well the thing is that tiramisu itself isnt a filling, its a dessert.
The only way to get the tiramisu taste is to use mascarpone cheese which is a soft creamy cheese.

I don't have a recipe for you but I would say maybe get some mascarpone and do some tests.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 28

I've tried to use a traditional tiramisu as a filling and it was a flop. The tiramisu was much too light and fluffy and soaked into the cake. Thankfully, it was just a trial for neighborhood use and not a 'for real' cake.

LanaC Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 28

I've tried to use a traditional tiramisu as a filling and it was a flop. The tiramisu was much too light and fluffy and soaked into the cake. Thankfully, it was just a trial for neighborhood use and not a 'for real' cake.

LanaC Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 28

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 28

I assume you mean just the filling part of the tiramisu.

I would use those same ingredients and just add less whipped cream and liquor so it would be a little thicker. I think I will have to try that myself.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 28

just some suggestions

try adding a box of pudding, instant, to help bind it tighter. Make it with all your traditional ingredients and add vanilla or white chocolate pudding until your desired thickness is achieved.

Use knox gelatine. bloom the gelatine in your cream and mix as usuall. I find this to give the end result a bit rubbery but it does hold up.

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 28

just some suggestions

try adding a box of pudding, instant, to help bind it tighter. Make it with all your traditional ingredients and add vanilla or white chocolate pudding until your desired thickness is achieved.

Use knox gelatine. bloom the gelatine in your cream and mix as usuall. I find this to give the end result a bit rubbery but it does hold up.

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 28

just some suggestions

jlynnw Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #17 of 28

just some suggestions

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #18 of 28

Thanks everyone...

jlynnw...that sounds like a winner, the pudding idea. I know that the tiramisu is NOT traditionally used as a cake filling because it's very liquid like and would just ooze from the sides. But the flavor and taste of it is just toooo delish not to try to add it to my cakes in some way. I will definitely be trying the pudding. I'll go with the white chocolate and add till I find my desired consistency.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #19 of 28

Thanks everyone...

jlynnw...that sounds like a winner, the pudding idea. I know that the tiramisu is NOT traditionally used as a cake filling because it's very liquid like and would just ooze from the sides. But the flavor and taste of it is just toooo delish not to try to add it to my cakes in some way. I will definitely be trying the pudding. I'll go with the white chocolate and add till I find my desired consistency.

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #20 of 28

Thanks everyone...

bakermommy4 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks everyone...

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #22 of 28

I add Amoretti Cappuccino Tiramisu flavoring to cream cheese bc and it is to die for.

jlynnw Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #23 of 28

so how did it turn out???? I am just waiting to hear! I made the tiramisu with the white chocolate pudding and layered in a triffle bowl with mocca cake. I can't wait to try it either.

bakermommy4 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #24 of 28

He jlynnw....it turned out just GREAT!! I added a box and a half of white chocolate pudding mixed and whipped away...and voila, tiramisu filling.

Cakefairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakefairytale Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:32am
post #25 of 28

Hi bakermommy4!

That sounds soo good, any chance you will share your recipe? Both kahlua chocolate cake and the tiramisu filling?

Cakefairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakefairytale Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:33am
post #26 of 28

Hi bakermommy4!

That sounds soo good, any chance you will share your recipe? Both kahlua chocolate cake and the tiramisu filling?

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 9:07am
post #27 of 28

I'm saving this for the filling recipe, just in case!

jlynnw Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #28 of 28

i so made the cake! I subsituted the liquid for kahlua, made a coffee kahlua simple syrup and the white chocolate tiramisu filling. I then made a mocca bc and drizzled ganache over the top. Thanks for the inspiration!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%