What Caused This??? Help!

Decorating By aunt_dodo Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm by tirby

aunt_dodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt_dodo Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

I had two cake orders this past weekend....Both went off well, except for one thing...which I have never experienced before.

I had one cake that was a 10" (two-layer) cake, and there was a wolder mold with the doll pick, made to look like a hawaiian girl. So I get the cake all smooth, I put the wonder mold on top and I start putting the icing on to look like a grass skirt....I move the cake around, and notice I have a huge bubble protruding from my icing. I use the crusting buttercream (viva method) so I'm not sure why it would get a air bubble underneath it. I poked it with a toothpick and then re-smoothed it, and continued what I was doing....Before too long I notice two more air bubbles....So I stop and fix those as well. Then when I get to the place I am meeting the lady to give her the cakes she ordered, I notice a big air bubble, and a smaller one as well. Luckily she is a friend of mine, and she wasn't mad about it or anything...

What could have caused this? I need to avoid this at all costs for any other cakes....What are your thoughts??

I do have pictures of the bubbles, I will post them when I get to my computer..

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 9

This has happened to me when I frosted frozen cakes. Were your cakes frozen?

It did happen to me once with a non-frozen cake. But that one I had to trim to make an even edge, and the icing was having trouble sticking to the trimmed part for some stupid reason. I had to squirt more icing under there and tamp it down with a viva towel again. Tres annoying.

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

It did happen to me once with a non-frozen cake. But that one I had to trim to make an even edge, and the icing was having trouble sticking to the trimmed part for some stupid reason. I had to squirt more icing under there and tamp it down with a viva towel again. Tres annoying.

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 9

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 9

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 9

This happend to me for the 3rd time this summer....Is it the heat? I am very frusterated can anyone help us??

tirby Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #7 of 9

This happend to me for the 3rd time this summer....Is it the heat? I am very frusterated can anyone help us??

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #8 of 9

There have been numerous posts on this in the past and there really isn't one answer for it. I've had this happen to me a few times as well. Never with frozen cakes (I never freeze them), and it has happened in the summer and the fall.

My theory is that the cake settles and pushes the air out. These tend to appear for me, after the cakes have been sitting for a while (over night) and usually after I have decorated them.

After I let the crumb coat crust I have actually taken the cakes and lifted them a few inches up off the counter and drop them back down a couple of times. That way it forces out any air that may be in the cake before I ice it. Since I have started 'dropping' them I haven't had a air bubble. (Knock on wood!)

tirby Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 9

I never thought of DROPPING the cake..... But now I am willing to try anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%