Gumpaste Question, Please Read

Decorating By tnuty Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 1:04am by umgrzfn

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 7

Hi, Im making a cake for this weekend...nothing new, but the new thing is I cant get my gumpaste pieces to dry for NOTHING!! they wont harden, I've already made them twice, I think its the humidity around here. Any how heres my question, I put the last pieces I made in the fridge.. I never did this before, never really had a problem before today.. they are hardening up, but I am concerned that when they come back to room temperature they will soften again. Does anyone know the likely hood of this happening? I am traveling with this cake to NY from RI and I need the pieces hardened by sat, they are an important piece of the cake. Any suggestions if you don't think this will work?

6 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #2 of 7

Add more Gum-tex or Tylose. I would go with the Tylose if you have it!!!! We live in a very high humidity area as well and I LOVE using Tylose!

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

Tara, did you make the gumpaste yourself? (could you have left out an ingredient?) or is this bought gumpaste? (bad batch or expired batch?) I'm in GA where the humidity is near 100% and my gumpaste is drying. I make my own, Nicholas Lodge's recipe w/tylose.

Something sure doesn't sound right.

I also think your gumpaste will go even softer after being in fridge...but I'm not positive on this.

Best of luck
Lisa

umgrzfn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 7

Add more Gum-tex or Tylose. I would go with the Tylose if you have it!!!! We live in a very high humidity area as well and I LOVE using Tylose!

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #5 of 7

Tara, did you make the gumpaste yourself? (could you have left out an ingredient?) or is this bought gumpaste? (bad batch or expired batch?) I'm in GA where the humidity is near 100% and my gumpaste is drying. I make my own, Nicholas Lodge's recipe w/tylose.

Something sure doesn't sound right.

I also think your gumpaste will go even softer after being in fridge...but I'm not positive on this.

Best of luck
Lisa

umgrzfn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7

umgrzfn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%