Cake Made The Paper, Didn't Get Credit?

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm by indydebi

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 24

So, I made a cake for a friends high school reunion party and a picture of the cake was used on the front cover of the local paper. It really doesn't matter, because I don't have a licenced home bakery (In my state it is legal to do "occasional" baking from home without a licence) and can't advertise anyway, but I was wondering if normally someone can photograph your cake and use it in the paper without giving you credit for it??

23 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 24

To my knowledge, they do not have to give you credit if they use a picture of your cake in the paper... As long as the person who took the picture give the consent to use the photo they had taken.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 24

well that stinks...if I were you I would call the paper and tell them that you are the cake artist & you would like a mention in their next issue.

adven68 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 24

well that stinks...if I were you I would call the paper and tell them that you are the cake artist & you would like a mention in their next issue.

adven68 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 24

adven68 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #6 of 24

sarahcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcupcake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 24

How frustrating! I agree with contacting the newspaper to see if they can list your name to give you credit for your work under the "Corrections" section. You must have done an amazing job to have your cake pictured on the front page!

sarahcupcake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 24

How frustrating! I agree with contacting the newspaper to see if they can list your name to give you credit for your work under the "Corrections" section. You must have done an amazing job to have your cake pictured on the front page!

sarahcupcake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #9 of 24

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 24

I don't think the paper needs to credit you. If you were a professional and owned the photo then they would credit you...but as a home baker you may not want to get noticed.

Just bask in the glory of knowing your cake was on the front page and that your friend loved it! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:52am
post #11 of 24

I don't think the paper needs to credit you. If you were a professional and owned the photo then they would credit you...but as a home baker you may not want to get noticed.

Just bask in the glory of knowing your cake was on the front page and that your friend loved it! icon_biggrin.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #12 of 24

I would want everyone to know it was my cake too! Homebaker or not...

step0nmi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:53am
post #13 of 24

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #14 of 24

Was the cake the subject of the photo?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:39am
post #15 of 24

Was the cake the subject of the photo?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #16 of 24

journalism teacher here --

no, they don't "have" to give credit. If their own reporter took the photo, then paper owns the photo.

now as to how good the reporting was.....

well that depends upon the focus of the article and why that photo was featured.

was it the cake by itself? If yes -- then bad reporting -- should have gotten and reported the details at least in the photo caption.

were people admiring the cake? then it's the people who are the focus, not the cake -- it becomes just a prop. (tho' my students would still get hassled for not reporting more details about the cake! go figure!)

tonia3604 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:29am
post #17 of 24

Ofcourse the article was about the reunion, but the picture was blown up and even had the background cropped out. It was just the cake and cake board and the article was written around it. It took up the whole top half of the front page! Anyway, I just wondered. I've only been decorating for a year so it was just neat to see my cake on the front of the paper!! Thanks everybody!

tonia3604 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:29am
post #18 of 24

Ofcourse the article was about the reunion, but the picture was blown up and even had the background cropped out. It was just the cake and cake board and the article was written around it. It took up the whole top half of the front page! Anyway, I just wondered. I've only been decorating for a year so it was just neat to see my cake on the front of the paper!! Thanks everybody!

tonia3604 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:30am
post #19 of 24

tonia3604 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:31am
post #20 of 24

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:45am
post #21 of 24

There must be a hiccup in the system since everyone except Doug had about 3 to 6 duplicate posts...lol

CakeRN Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #22 of 24

There must be a hiccup in the system since everyone except Doug had about 3 to 6 duplicate posts...lol

CakeRN Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:47am
post #23 of 24

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #24 of 24

THere's a thread out there that gives some tips on how to avoid dupl posts. I've been doing it and it works. WAY faster and easier than going back and deleting 3 of them every single time! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%