Making Your Own Birthday Cake

Decorating By niccicola Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm by Lissydawn

niccicola Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 28

So, I'm getting a lot of flack from my family who thinks it odd that I am making my own birthday cake. There is one lady in town I can honestly say is better than I am and my husband suggested I call her up to do it. But..but...isn't that weird? Paying someone else to do something I can do myself. Maybe not *quite* as well as she could do, but if I'm going to make a cake for someone, it might as well be me.

What do you think? What do you do...do you let your family take over? I figure I will let everyone take over for my 30th birthday but I get this year and the next 2 to do my own.

27 replies
ayerim979 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 28

I dont think its weird at all I made my own baby shower cake , my family laughed but I didnt care. I made it just the way I wanted it.

ayerim979 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 28

I dont think its weird at all I made my own baby shower cake , my family laughed but I didnt care. I made it just the way I wanted it.

ayerim979 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 28

woodruffbn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 28

I certainly wouldn't pay someone else to do something that I could do myself.... especially in this economy. You go ahead and make your cake if that's what you want to do! It's YOUR birthday! You get to decide! icon_cool.gif

giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 28

I just made my own birthday cake this weekend. There it is in my avatar. icon_smile.gif It tasted fabulous (if I do say so myself icon_wink.gif )and was exactly what I wanted. My favorite cake! I don't think it's weird at all. My family would think it was weird if I didn't make it!
I guess it just depends on what you want. If you want to relax and feel pampered, by all means get someone else to do it. If you are like me, and really enjoy making and decorating them (and this time it is just for you, so no one else's design opinion matters!!! ) then make it yourself.

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 28

I always make my own cake. Everyone always says, I hope you're not making your own cake... but the thing is, I love to make cakes! Why wouldn't I make my own cake?

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 28

I always make my own cake. Everyone always says, I hope you're not making your own cake... but the thing is, I love to make cakes! Why wouldn't I make my own cake?

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 28

sweetcravings Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 28

I often bake my own bday cake but that's because we celebrate all the family bdays together and i just happen to be the 'baker'. secretly, I really would love just ONE year for them to surprize me with an awesome cake that someone else made. It would touch my heart if they went to the trouble to give me something really special, that i didn't make.lol

sweetcravings Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 28

I often bake my own bday cake but that's because we celebrate all the family bdays together and i just happen to be the 'baker'. secretly, I really would love just ONE year for them to surprize me with an awesome cake that someone else made. It would touch my heart if they went to the trouble to give me something really special, that i didn't make.lol

sweetcravings Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #12 of 28

sleeper713 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #13 of 28

My birthday is in two weeks, and I'm looking forward to making my own cake. I love to make cakes, and I can have mine just the way I want it by making it myself.

cookiemama2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:05am
post #14 of 28

I always make my own cake to have with my hubby and kids , but then my Mom will make one for me when we have dinner with them. The last 2 yrs my 7 yr old has helped her! She does an awesome job! The doll cake in my photos is the one she did this year. As soon as I was old enough to bake I made my Mom's cake for her birthday and now my daughter is doing the same!

cookiemama2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #15 of 28

I always make my own cake to have with my hubby and kids , but then my Mom will make one for me when we have dinner with them. The last 2 yrs my 7 yr old has helped her! She does an awesome job! The doll cake in my photos is the one she did this year. As soon as I was old enough to bake I made my Mom's cake for her birthday and now my daughter is doing the same!

cookiemama2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #16 of 28

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #17 of 28

I don't think its weird. I plan to make my birthday cake this year, also.

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:13am
post #18 of 28

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #19 of 28

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #20 of 28

emrldsky Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:28am
post #21 of 28

I've already designed my cake for this year. icon_smile.gif It's all good, don't listen to them and make the cake YOU want.

Kiki74 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:55am
post #22 of 28

I don't think it's wierd at all. If you make it yourself you are guaranteed to get exactly what you want. icon_biggrin.gif

Jen80 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:33am
post #23 of 28

No, it's not weird. I'm really looking forward to making my 30th B'day cake next year, because I can make it axactly how I want. Trouble is, I don't know what I want.........he he.

LOL!.....looks like I'm not the only one who has had trouble with multiple posts.

ShayShay Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 28

I used to refuse to make my own birthday cake until it finally occured to me that everyone else was getting really good cake (that I made) and I was getting store bought cake. Although I appreciate the effort my family made, why should I get crappy cake for my birthday! A few years ago i started making my own birthday cake. I now debut a new cake recipe for my birthday. This year it was a key lime coconut that I absolutely love!

cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #25 of 28

If I REALLY want a birthday cake that I know I will love, I'll bake it myself. My family doesn't plan ahead really well, so I would probably get something off the bakery shelf, purchased by someone on the way home from work. Sometimes things have been sitting around for days in the bakery. Once we returned a cake because it tasted like the chocolate had gone bad. (I don't know if chocolate ferments, but that was my thinking at the time.) And who wants to return their birthday cake? I want to EAT my birthday cake.
So, NO, it's not weird to make your own birthday cake. It's a great time to experiment with something new. If it isn't perfect, only you will know. The "customer" won't complain much.

dhccster Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #26 of 28

I would definitely want to make my own birthday cake. I would know that it would turn out exactly like I wanted. For the past 8 years, I think I have only had one or two birthday cakes. My daughter's birthday is 5 days before mine and we are sick of cake by the time my birthday gets there.

Make your own birthday cake and enjoy it!! icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #27 of 28

I make mine nearly every year. Even this year, when I was commissioned to make my surprise 40th birthday cake. I prefer to have creative license - this year it was a BC sunset cake - that DS told me was the ugliest cake i made!

Lissydawn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #28 of 28

I bake my own cake, but DH decorates it - I love that he puts in the effort, even if it is just sprinkles and "happy birthday"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%