I Think I Know What Happened But...

Decorating By lynda-bob Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 4:19am by lynda-bob

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 10

...Please help me understand. icon_cry.gif I had my first REAL cake disaster. I never freeze my cakes unless I'm planning to sculpt a 3-d cake. Due to time constraints, I baked all my cakes, froze them after cooling and wrapping them. Next day I took them out of the freezer torted, filled, and crumb-coated them. I left them out on the counter except for what was going to be the top 6 in. tier. I put it back in the freezer. I am guessing this was wrong??!!! Everything got frosted, decorated and off it went. Next day, my friend called me to tell me the top tiers "fell in" and icing slid off of top side. It looks like the leaning tower of pisa, she said. icon_cry.gif I told her not to pay me for it and she was so nice and comforting but I feel like poop. Can those of you who freeze your cakes tell me if my suspicions are correct? I feel like I don't ever want to try anything different ever again! icon_sad.gif I really had lots of fun doing it, and the freezing made it soooo much easier, but I feel like I can never do it again. HELP, PLEASE! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 10

it was just the top tier that had the icing fall off? and you put it back in the freezer AFTER frosting and decorating?

May I ask why you did that?

I usually freeze after baking but it does not go back in fridge/freezer at all after it it comes out.

niccicola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 10

it was just the top tier that had the icing fall off? and you put it back in the freezer AFTER frosting and decorating?

I usually freeze after baking but it does not go back in fridge/freezer at all after it it comes out.

niccicola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 10

niccicola Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 10

lynda-bob Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #6 of 10

It went back into the freezer after crumb coating only. I mainly put back in because it was little and I thought it'd stay out of danger and be easier to frost and decorate. icon_sad.gif So u only freeze before and no more freezer after crumb- coating? Is this right?
icon_redface.gif

lynda-bob Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:25am
post #7 of 10

It went back into the freezer after crumb coating only. I mainly put back in because it was little and I thought it'd stay out of danger and be easier to frost and decorate. icon_sad.gif So u only freeze before and no more freezer after crumb- coating? Is this right?
icon_redface.gif

lynda-bob Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 10

Okay, I think I'll do a mini test run 4 home. Thank you for the reply niccicola.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #9 of 10

I truly think it might just be the combination of your frosting and cake. What you did, wasn't wrong all of the time, Just for that combination. Keep a cake journal and make notes. I fill, crumb coat, and freeze all of the time with no problem. I often even do final decoration and freeze. Not a problem. Once, I had a very dark cranberry swag start to weep with condensation (rain for four days) when it came out. It looked like a horror movie. But the darkest colors can often be troublesome.

So don't give up on freezing. It can be a life saver. Just try some stuff at home for a family birthday in case it goes bad.

lynda-bob Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:19am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

So don't give up on freezing. It can be a life saver. Just try some stuff at home for a family birthday in case it goes bad.

Thanks. I feel slightly better, but am still waiting to hear from her if the cake at least tasted/ felt normal. I will definitely try it again, but just for us at home. I really loved how easy it was to tort, and crumbcoat so I'm gonna give it a few more test funs at home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%