Fondant - Cheaper To Buy Or Make

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm by Renaejrk

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #31 of 66

Ditto on what everyone else said. You can always make double or triple batches of the MMf for bigger cakes and people might actually eat it as opposed to the tea leaves the cat ate and excreted that Wilton makes. icon_biggrin.gif

maudabom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #32 of 66

Ditto on what everyone else said. You can always make double or triple batches of the MMf for bigger cakes and people might actually eat it as opposed to the tea leaves the cat ate and excreted that Wilton makes. icon_biggrin.gif

maudabom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #33 of 66

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by maudabom

LOL!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

woodruffbn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #35 of 66
Quote:

woodruffbn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #36 of 66
Quote:

woodruffbn Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:41am
post #37 of 66
Quote:

pattiverde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiverde Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:40am
post #38 of 66

Funny you should ask! I just calculated this out yesterday. Making it is waaaay cheaper. Here are the specifics:

Wilton Fondant - wouldn't eat it even if it were free!

Satin Ice - $7.50/pound

Michele Foster's homemade fondant - $2.60/pound (ingredients purchased in Portland, OR)

It took me an hour to make Michele Foster's fondant, but it takes me the same amount of time to drive to the cake supply store to buy Satin Ice, get sidetracked by all the fun goodies I want to buy, and then drive home. So as for the time, it's a wash. As for the money, homemade wins out for sure.

icon_smile.gif patti

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:39am
post #39 of 66

You girls are so funny! Thank you SO SO much for your responses. I love this forum, you are all so nice and helpful. I guess I will make it then! I only need a little, for decorations.

Again, thank you. icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:46pm
post #40 of 66

I've heard a lot of good things about fondx (Bronwen Webber used it on, I think it was, the ultimate cake challenge). through fondant source it comes out to $3.70/ pound including s&h. That is also w/ the 10% discount they give cake central people.

So, I think I'll definitely give it a try in the future b/c it would be great to have a back up plan. Plus, I've heard that if you mix fondant w/ either CalJava or ChocoPan that you can roll the fondant thinner = more coverage per pound. So.....

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #41 of 66

Dandelion,
I just checked out fondant source and the shipping is going to be over $30! icon_sad.gif

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:59pm
post #42 of 66

Dandelion,
I just checked out fondant source and the shipping is going to be over $30! icon_sad.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:01pm
post #43 of 66

I definitely think Michele Foster's fondant is the best..... and cheaper!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm
post #44 of 66

I definitely think Michele Foster's fondant is the best..... and cheaper!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #45 of 66

It must be where you live, b/c UPS ground to TN is like $9.48

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #46 of 66

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #47 of 66

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #48 of 66

Okay, so I went through Fondant Source and found fondx in a 10 pound bucket. Shipping was 11 bucks (total of 41.00 for fondant and shipping), so it came to just over $4.00 a pound. Not bad!

So how many pounds will one batch of Rhonda's MMF make? Does nayone know? I know that Michelle Foster's fondant tastes REALLY good but there are more ingredients, and it says it takes a lot longer. I need something easy as I am so new.

And how many pounds would a person need to cover a 3 tier cake? I dont plan to, but I am trying to imagine how much ten pounds will cover/last me. (?)

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #49 of 66

Okay, so I went through Fondant Source and found fondx in a 10 pound bucket. Shipping was 11 bucks (total of 41.00 for fondant and shipping), so it came to just over $4.00 a pound. Not bad!

So how many pounds will one batch of Rhonda's MMF make? Does nayone know? I know that Michelle Foster's fondant tastes REALLY good but there are more ingredients, and it says it takes a lot longer. I need something easy as I am so new.

And how many pounds would a person need to cover a 3 tier cake? I dont plan to, but I am trying to imagine how much ten pounds will cover/last me. (?)

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #50 of 66

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm
post #51 of 66

I make Michele's all the time and it doesn't take me an hour "hands on" - the longest part for me is waiting for the liquid mixture to cook to lukewarm, lol! I buy the knox gelatin packets in a larger box, so it's cheaper. It works out to about 2.30 a pound for me.

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:58pm
post #52 of 66

Thanks for that tip, maybe I will try it then. Im just scared, thats all! Sounds harder.

What about coloring it? I just called the local cake decorating supply store and I Was told to not even attempt to color fondant red, as it is difficult. She said im much better off buying a red pre-colored fondant. They want 11.59 for 2 pounds of colored Satin Ice. Seems kinda pricey.

What do you guys think? Will it be really hard to get a good vibrant red color?

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #53 of 66

Thanks for that tip, maybe I will try it then. Im just scared, thats all! Sounds harder.

What about coloring it? I just called the local cake decorating supply store and I Was told to not even attempt to color fondant red, as it is difficult. She said im much better off buying a red pre-colored fondant. They want 11.59 for 2 pounds of colored Satin Ice. Seems kinda pricey.

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #54 of 66

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #55 of 66

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #56 of 66

If you use a good color it can be done. I use chefmaster liqua gel and have no problem getting red. It is concentrated so it doesn't take near as much as other brands and you get the color instantly.

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #57 of 66

I have made mine red (americolor super red-more concentrated) - I cut down on the glycerin to compensate. Although I will say we have been having problems with MFF lately - they changed the consistency of the corn syrup, it's more watery and we're playing around with it to fix the problem - Michele said she may try using glucose, but I haven't heard whether she tried it or not.

I have heard good things about MMF, but I haven't tried making it - I went to a wedding where the decorator used it, and it basically just tasted like marshmallows, which I don't like anyway! lol

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #58 of 66

When you girls say MMF do you mean Rhonda's MMF?

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #59 of 66

chefmaster liqua gel? where do you get it? is it more concentrated than americolor? That would be great!

mistymamas Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #60 of 66

When you girls say MMF do you mean Rhonda's MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%