Fondant - Cheaper To Buy Or Make

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm by Renaejrk

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 66

Is it cheaper to make it, or buy the Wilton kind in a box?

65 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 66

My opinion is that it's cheaper to make and it taste waaaayy better. icon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 66

My opinion is that it's cheaper to make and it taste waaaayy better. icon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 66

jaybug Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 66

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 66

Definately cheaper to make. Love the exercise I get while kneading in the last 2 cups per batch.

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 66

Definately cheaper to make. Love the exercise I get while kneading in the last 2 cups per batch.

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 66

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 66

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 66

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 66

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 66

dsilvest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 66

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 66

Don't waste your money on Wilton in a box!!! It tastes exactly like dried tea leaves smell. The only reasons you should buy it is a) to practice w/ it to get the "feel" of what it's like b) you have a 40% off coupon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby c) no one would be eating the decorations you make.

That said, there are different fondants out there. A lot use Satin Ice & I've heard great things about Fondx. I don't like the taste of Pettinice at all!

As for making it, that's what I've always done, either Michele's or Rhonda's Marshmallow fondant, but I make the MMF in my mixer bowl over a double boiler & let my machine knead it for me!

As for cheaper, you need to add up your ingredients plus the labor it takes to make it & clean up, electric (pay yourself $___/ hr for your labor). Then weigh your fondant (my last batch of MMF weighed 2 lb 13 oz) & see how much it would cost per pound. Then find commercial fondant & add in S&H & see how much it would be per pound. That's the best way to calculate.

My only beef w/ homemade is if I get to the point of making a lot of cakes it may be worth the cost to not have to knead it & get it perfect & have to clean up my kitchen. Hopefully I'll be in that situation to have to decide one day icon_smile.gif

Here are those recipes. And you can flavor them w/ any flavoring you like. I love Butavan (s u g a r c r a f t .com--no spaces) & my family loves creme bouquet (CK Products) & princess emulsion (Lorann's). Michele's is my favorite hand's down, but MMF is quicker.

Rhonda's MMF http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-5-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html (I use glycerin instead of Corn syrup, helps w/ pliability)

Michele Foster's http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 66

Don't waste your money on Wilton in a box!!! It tastes exactly like dried tea leaves smell. The only reasons you should buy it is a) to practice w/ it to get the "feel" of what it's like b) you have a 40% off coupon at Michaels or Hobby Lobby c) no one would be eating the decorations you make.

That said, there are different fondants out there. A lot use Satin Ice & I've heard great things about Fondx. I don't like the taste of Pettinice at all!

As for making it, that's what I've always done, either Michele's or Rhonda's Marshmallow fondant, but I make the MMF in my mixer bowl over a double boiler & let my machine knead it for me!

As for cheaper, you need to add up your ingredients plus the labor it takes to make it & clean up, electric (pay yourself $___/ hr for your labor). Then weigh your fondant (my last batch of MMF weighed 2 lb 13 oz) & see how much it would cost per pound. Then find commercial fondant & add in S&H & see how much it would be per pound. That's the best way to calculate.

My only beef w/ homemade is if I get to the point of making a lot of cakes it may be worth the cost to not have to knead it & get it perfect & have to clean up my kitchen. Hopefully I'll be in that situation to have to decide one day icon_smile.gif

Here are those recipes. And you can flavor them w/ any flavoring you like. I love Butavan (s u g a r c r a f t .com--no spaces) & my family loves creme bouquet (CK Products) & princess emulsion (Lorann's). Michele's is my favorite hand's down, but MMF is quicker.

Rhonda's MMF http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-5-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html (I use glycerin instead of Corn syrup, helps w/ pliability)

Michele Foster's http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #16 of 66

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 66

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #18 of 66

definitely cheaper to make, as far as actual costs go, which I go by because I do most of mine for free - I donate my time for my kids/family/friends! If you count your working time, I'm not sure, though it doesn't take me very long or very much work to make MFF.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 66

definitely cheaper to make, as far as actual costs go, which I go by because I do most of mine for free - I donate my time for my kids/family/friends! If you count your working time, I'm not sure, though it doesn't take me very long or very much work to make MFF.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 66

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #21 of 66

No doubt about it - it's cheaper to make it. And it definitely tastes better than Wilton. The con however, is that it takes a while to make. And if you have to make 20lbs of it to go on a wedding cake - it's easier just to buy it!

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #22 of 66

No doubt about it - it's cheaper to make it. And it definitely tastes better than Wilton. The con however, is that it takes a while to make. And if you have to make 20lbs of it to go on a wedding cake - it's easier just to buy it!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #23 of 66

I have only used two kinds. MMF and Wiltons. And let me tell you Wilton's takes like.... hammered cat poo. YUCK! MMF tastes great and is very easy to make. I dont know how many lbs it makes, but it only costs about $2 to make a batch (powdered sugar and marshmallows). I am going to try Satin Ice soon, because everyone here says it is great!

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #24 of 66

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:33pm
post #25 of 66

I have only used two kinds. MMF and Wiltons. And let me tell you Wilton's takes like.... hammered cat poo. YUCK! MMF tastes great and is very easy to make. I dont know how many lbs it makes, but it only costs about $2 to make a batch (powdered sugar and marshmallows). I am going to try Satin Ice soon, because everyone here says it is great!

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

Don't waste your money on Wilton in a box!!! It tastes exactly like dried tea leaves smell.

I think that you are giving it too much credit. It tastes much worse.

QueenJessica Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

Don't waste your money on Wilton in a box!!! It tastes exactly like dried tea leaves smell.

QueenJessica Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

QueenJessica Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Quote:

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:24am
post #30 of 66

Ditto on what everyone else said. You can always make double or triple batches of the MMf for bigger cakes and people might actually eat it as opposed to the tea leaves the cat ate and excreted that Wilton makes. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%