How Much

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm by cylstrial

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake this weekend for a co-workers daughter. It is a two layer two teired white with zebra print and has a pink bow on top with the spirled "explotion" on it. There is a picture of it in the galleries it's named Zebra with Hot pink made by bellsnbows...(I think) Anyway how much would you charge?
Bellsnbows..if your out there...how much did you charge and what size did you use?
I am making the bottom a 10" square and a 8" top. I added it up and the ingredients are going to be about $40. So asking $55 sounds a little cheap. What do you all think?

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 10

Assuming the 8" is also square, it's 82 servings. You're right ... $55 is WAY too low for 82 servings.

Assuming the 8" is round, that's 74 servings. $55 is still way too low for 74 servings.

Just to give you an idea, if it was an all buttercream cake, I'd charge $3.50/serving = $287 and $259 respectively. Plus any fondant and/or bow charges.

How long will it take you to make this cake? If you can't get 4 cake pans in your oven at one time, lets assume about an hour for mixing, baking, clean up. Then add 3-4 hours for decorating and clean up. Throw in an hour in the car to run out and get supplies (not even counting your gas, electricity and misc supplies, like paper towels and dishsoap). 6 hours time into a "profit" of $15 .... If you're happy making $2.50 an hour, then $55 is ok.

I, personally want reimbursed for my time and all of the expenses.

A common mistake is thinking that the SUPPLIES are the only expense involved in making a cake. It's not

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

Assuming the 8" is also square, it's 82 servings. You're right ... $55 is WAY too low for 82 servings.

Assuming the 8" is round, that's 74 servings. $55 is still way too low for 74 servings.

Just to give you an idea, if it was an all buttercream cake, I'd charge $3.50/serving = $287 and $259 respectively. Plus any fondant and/or bow charges.

How long will it take you to make this cake? If you can't get 4 cake pans in your oven at one time, lets assume about an hour for mixing, baking, clean up. Then add 3-4 hours for decorating and clean up. Throw in an hour in the car to run out and get supplies (not even counting your gas, electricity and misc supplies, like paper towels and dishsoap). 6 hours time into a "profit" of $15 .... If you're happy making $2.50 an hour, then $55 is ok.

A common mistake is thinking that the SUPPLIES are the only expense involved in making a cake. It's not

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 10

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 10

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 10

If you are just doing this for fun, then by all means charge whatever you want. But if you are wanting to make some money then calculate your time in with the expenses. For myself, and with my not seeing the picture, I would start the pricing around $170 (if it is the 74 servings) and add an art fee on top of that.
I know it is a lot lower than indydebi's, but I also am not as experienced. Hope that helps you some.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 10

If you are just doing this for fun, then by all means charge whatever you want. But if you are wanting to make some money then calculate your time in with the expenses. For myself, and with my not seeing the picture, I would start the pricing around $170 (if it is the 74 servings) and add an art fee on top of that.
I know it is a lot lower than indydebi's, but I also am not as experienced. Hope that helps you some.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 10

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 10

It seems like it just keeps getting lower...but if I charged for my cakes, I'd do $150 and up.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 10

It seems like it just keeps getting lower...but if I charged for my cakes, I'd do $150 and up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%