What Surface Do You Roll Your Fondant Out On?

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm by Rosie2

mommyto4 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 22

I love the wilton non-stick fondant mats, but I can't for the life of me get them to lay flat! I have left them for months on in squashed between two pieces of foamboard, but still they curl up on the edges. I want them to lay flat!!! Also, sometimes they're not big enough for the size of cake I want to cover. So what do you do? Have you gotten the wilton mats to lay flat? Do you just do it on the countertop? Please, share what you do!!! Thanks!

21 replies
PennySue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 22

I roll big pieces of fondant on the mat from Ateco. It works just great. Little pieces go on my SilPat. And for really big ones, I have a thick piece of sheet plastic. Now here is something...I was watching "Amazing Wedding Cakes" on WE channel. Christopher Garren used a piece of shower and tub liner to roll a hugh piece of fondant on. My husband spotted it. Interesting. Anyway, hope this helps.

PennySue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 22

I roll big pieces of fondant on the mat from Ateco. It works just great. Little pieces go on my SilPat. And for really big ones, I have a thick piece of sheet plastic. Now here is something...I was watching "Amazing Wedding Cakes" on WE channel. Christopher Garren used a piece of shower and tub liner to roll a hugh piece of fondant on. My husband spotted it. Interesting. Anyway, hope this helps.

PennySue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 22

PennySue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 22

PennySue Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 22

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 22

You can also go to Walmart and buy the thick clear sheet vinyl in the fabric section and have it cut to size.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 22

I buy sheets of vinyl from the fabric store and cut them whatever size I want! They are great and a lot of times I don't need to put anything on it, no shortening or powdered sugar, etc, depending on if I'm having fondant problems or not! lol I just lift it and lay it over the cake, then peel! It's great!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 22

You can also go to Walmart and buy the thick clear sheet vinyl in the fabric section and have it cut to size.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 22

I buy sheets of vinyl from the fabric store and cut them whatever size I want! They are great and a lot of times I don't need to put anything on it, no shortening or powdered sugar, etc, depending on if I'm having fondant problems or not! lol I just lift it and lay it over the cake, then peel! It's great!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 22

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 22

2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 22

Liz23 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 22

I was having the same problem with my Wilton mat and was also getting cuts in it so I had a piece of Plexiglas cut the same size as the Wilton mat. This allows me to still see the markings on the mat but protects it.

Liz23 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 22

I was having the same problem with my Wilton mat and was also getting cuts in it so I had a piece of Plexiglas cut the same size as the Wilton mat. This allows me to still see the markings on the mat but protects it.

Liz23 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 22

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #17 of 22

Wow, I thought I was the only one that's been posting multiple messages...I swear I only try to post once.

Oh, and thank you for posting this question since I also have the same issue.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 22

Wow, I thought I was the only one that's been posting multiple messages...I swear I only try to post once.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #19 of 22

Liz23 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 22

I think there's a problem with the website. All the threads I've been reading have the same postings over and over.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz23

I think there's a problem with the website. All the threads I've been reading have the same postings over and over.

I know...I swear I only send the message once.

Rosie2 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz23

I know...I swear I only send the message once.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%