Luster/sparkle/pearl Dust On Buttercream???

Decorating By jabrbx Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm by doitallmom

jabrbx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jabrbx Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 4

Can they be used on buttercream? The lady at the local cake supply store here said they were to only be used on fondant. All of my cakes are done in buttercream cause I've never used fondant. icon_confused.gif

THANKS!

3 replies
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 4

Most of my cakes are done in bc also (with a ton of fondant accents) and I use luster and pearl on almost every cake. It is easiest to apply with an airbrush mixed with vodka or lemon juice (bc it is acidic). I use vodka bc it evaporates quickly.

You can also luster on by hand if you are real careful to not break the surface of the buttercream once it has crusted. Use a real soft paint brush and make sure the "paint" mixture (again with vodka or lemon juice) is somewhat a think consistency.

Good luck! I see you are a Newbie....you are gonna love it here! Welcome to the most addicting site on the WWW!!!!

-Michelle

jabrbx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jabrbx Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! An airbrush right now is out of my budget since I just do cakes for family and close friends right now. I might try the painting technique on my next cake. Just need to make sure the bc is crusted before I do so, right???

thumbs_up.gif Yes, newbie here. Gotten lots of ideas here that I would like to try. . .it is definately getting addictive!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

It is easiest to apply with an airbrush mixed with vodka or lemon juice (bc it is acidic). I use vodka bc it evaporates quickly.

pure Lemon extract evaporates really quickly also. It's always been my choice because I don't drink, so I'd neber buy vodka just for my dec. purposes. I'd also never hears of using lemon juice, so that's good to know for reference. Always a learing experience here on CC thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%