Wedding Prices For A Grooms Cake The Same For Wedding Cake??

Business By froglover Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm by jlynnw

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 22

SO we just recently decide to up our wedding prices to $2.50 per serving that's buttercream or fondant. I know I know but that is comparable for our area. So we had a lady come in and say that she's shopped around and $2.50 is the going rate for a wedding cake but she doesn't feel that she should pay that price for the grooms cake also. She's looking for some kind of stacked hunting theme but still look elegant. We told her that we felt comfortable with the pps and that a lot more detail goes into the wedding as well as the grooms cake than say a normal b-day cake. She said that was more than she was looking for and what could she do to not have to pay the $2.50 ps. We nicely told her nothing. So she left without ordering ( at least she didn't waste another hour of our time). My partner suggested that we maybe could have told her she could do something that was only 2 in layerd and get a little discount off pps but we would still use wedding size servings. SO my question is do you charge same for wedding and grooms servings? If not what do you charge? Are you willing to do one without the other being ordered from you? We mostly do 3D cakes for the grooms. www.EdibleEleganceTex.com Thanks

21 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 22

Hi,

I'm wondering why she was OK with the price for the Wedding cake but not for the Groom's cake.......... icon_rolleyes.gif

Cake is cake..........my per serving price is the same no matter what the occasion.

If you start charging less per serving for the "Groom's" cake, next thing you know they'll be ordering a 5 tier hunting themed Groom's cake and a 1 tier Wedding cake just to save money.

You did the right thing, don't second guess yourself.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 22

Cake is cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglover

...but she doesn't feel that she should pay that price for the grooms cake also.

"Why not?" icon_confused.gif

Based on the pics I've seen, most groom's cakes are way more detailed than a 3-tier, scrolls-n-ribbon wedding cake.

You did the right thing.

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 22

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 22

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 22

dupl

indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 22

dupl

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 22

We all know why Debi has so many posts icon_wink.gif

Seriously, I don't understand the issue. Most of my groom's cake run higher per serving than my wedding cakes, because they tend to have a LOT more detail. I tell people a serving is a serving, whether you want it in the shape of a rectangle (sheet cake), round, square, hexagon... then the price goes up based on the complexity of the design.

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 22

Seriously, I don't understand the issue. Most of my groom's cake run higher per serving than my wedding cakes, because they tend to have a LOT more detail. I tell people a serving is a serving, whether you want it in the shape of a rectangle (sheet cake), round, square, hexagon... then the price goes up based on the complexity of the design.

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 22

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 22

I'm afraid to post this in case it shows up ten times, but oh well.

You're right, the pps should be what you set it, and the groom's cake takes as long as a lot of wedding cakes. I can't go into the grocery store and say that I'm okay with this price, but I don't think I should pay so much for this and expect them to lower the price. I wish I could, but they keep throwing me out! icon_rolleyes.gif

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 22

aligotmatt Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 22

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 22

No kidding, do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 22

No kidding, do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? Do these all count? icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #17 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #18 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #19 of 22

Why do people order cakes and then think that they can price it for themselves? Your pps seems low for fondant. Was it $2.50 for bc OR fondant?

Most of the bakeries I have worked in have a clause in the contract that states they are the only ones to bring cake to the reception. If they show up and another cake is there, that voids the contract and they do NOT leave the cake. I have worked at a couple where they deliver one or both, no problem. I think I preferred to do both or nothing. You show up with a great cake and the family member shows up with something after taking a lesson and "think" they can decorate. You don't want to get blamed for the disaster.

jlynnw Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #20 of 22

Why do people order cakes and then think that they can price it for themselves? Your pps seems low for fondant. Was it $2.50 for bc OR fondant?

Most of the bakeries I have worked in have a clause in the contract that states they are the only ones to bring cake to the reception. If they show up and another cake is there, that voids the contract and they do NOT leave the cake. I have worked at a couple where they deliver one or both, no problem. I think I preferred to do both or nothing. You show up with a great cake and the family member shows up with something after taking a lesson and "think" they can decorate. You don't want to get blamed for the disaster.

jlynnw Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #21 of 22

jlynnw Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #22 of 22

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%