Wedding Prices For A Grooms Cake The Same For Wedding Cake??

Business By froglover Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm by -AndSheBakes

froglover Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 13

SO we just recently decide to up our wedding prices to $2.50 per serving that's buttercream or fondant. I know I know but that is comparable for our area. So we had a lady come in and say that she's shopped around and $2.50 is the going rate for a wedding cake but she doesn't feel that she should pay that price for the grooms cake also. She's looking for some kind of stacked hunting theme but still look elegant. We told her that we felt comfortable with the pps and that a lot more detail goes into the wedding as well as the grooms cake than say a normal b-day cake. She said that was more than she was looking for and what could she do to not have to pay the $2.50 ps. We nicely told her nothing. So she left without ordering ( at least she didn't waste another hour of our time). My partner suggested that we maybe could have told her she could do something that was only 2 in layerd and get a little discount off pps but we would still use wedding size servings. SO my question is do you charge same for wedding and grooms servings? If not what do you charge? Are you willing to do one without the other being ordered from you? We mostly do 3D cakes for the grooms. www.EdibleEleganceTex.com Thanks

12 replies
momma28 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 13

My grooms cakes are typically sculpted and take more time and artistic ability than your average cake. I charge by difficulty and detail of design not by servings. If she is ordering the wedding cake from you, you could give her a discount but to be honest I wouldnt. The sculpted cakes are harder for me and not everyone can do them. That in my mind makes them more valuable. I have a minimum no matter how small a sculpted cake is (had to do this because I just had trouble pricing) and it goes up if the design is big or the sculpting is more difficult.

momma28 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 13

My grooms cakes are typically sculpted and take more time and artistic ability than your average cake. I charge by difficulty and detail of design not by servings. If she is ordering the wedding cake from you, you could give her a discount but to be honest I wouldnt. The sculpted cakes are harder for me and not everyone can do them. That in my mind makes them more valuable. I have a minimum no matter how small a sculpted cake is (had to do this because I just had trouble pricing) and it goes up if the design is big or the sculpting is more difficult.

momma28 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 13

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 13

All my cakes are the same price per serving. Doesn't matter the occasion.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 13

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 13

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 13

Don't give her a discount. Your price is your price!

cylstrial Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 13

Don't give her a discount. Your price is your price!

tootie0809 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:21am
post #10 of 13

Yeah, I'd tell her prices are different for a wedding cake and a groom's cake......sculpted groom's cakes are much more $$ per serving. I don't understand why some people think it's okay to come in and tell you what THEY think they should pay for a cake.

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 13

I agree. You should tell her that your price reflects the level of difficulty in the cake. You do not charge for the classification "wedding cake" you charge for the work that goes into it.

In terms of doing one cake without doing the other - you may want to state in your contract that your cake is not to be served with other cakes you did not supply. If they buy the grooms cake from Walmart and the wedding cake from your shop you don't want people assuming you made them both!

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #12 of 13

I agree. You should tell her that your price reflects the level of difficulty in the cake. You do not charge for the classification "wedding cake" you charge for the work that goes into it.

In terms of doing one cake without doing the other - you may want to state in your contract that your cake is not to be served with other cakes you did not supply. If they buy the grooms cake from Walmart and the wedding cake from your shop you don't want people assuming you made them both!

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 13

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%