A Miracle But Still Need Prayer.

Lounge By sadsmile Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm by michellenj

sadsmile Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 28

We Need prayer. We have had a near death trauma that has shaken our family. My memory is a little spotty like a strobe light effect.
On Friday I was in the kitchen busy as usual and the kids were playing. Hannah was at a friends house. Jonathan and Shawn were on the computer. Leah and Becca were playing in their room and throughout the house. Becca brought a dress up skirt and wanted help putting in on. I helped her and she darted back to her room to get another dress. She returned and asked for help again. Help you. She says in her sweet little voice holding up the dress. So I put it on her and she darted away. She had been coming and going every minute for something. And she was so curious about the cake stuff I was working on. Then a minute went by and I realized I didnt hear the giggling of little girls anymore. I stuck my head around the corner to have a full view of the open floor plan and called out, Becca, Leah where are you? I didnt hear a response. I walked down the hall toward their room and called out again. Leah answered from the bathroom, but I didnt see Becca. Then I saw the door to the laundry room was open! I was furious and yelled, Who left the door open? Wheres Becca? Becca!!! When I rushed in the laundry room the door leading into the garage was also open and I could see daylight in the normally dark garage. The side door to the garage was wide open to the world outside. I was screaming. Shawn and Jonathan came out and we were looking around for her. My heart was sinking and I felt like I was dying or worse. I ran around and back inside hoping I missed seeing her playing in their blue mustang hot wheels car in the garage. But she wasnt there. I yelled to Leah, FIND BECCA! Look in your room, in your closet. I rushed back through the open doors and into the street scanning side to side in the distance for any sign of her. Shawn looked at me and he was just as desperate and in pain as I was.
We heard the neighbors little dog barking in the backyard. He went that way and I backed up knowing we need to cover separate ground and I turned around to the street again. THE LAKE! There is a lake behind the house across the street. OMG! I ran as fast as I could, shouting for her, only I couldnt hear anything but this loud white noise in my head and my heart pounding. I ran past the house towards the lake scanning the surface and shore as I rounded the corner of the house. Then as I ran beyond the cluster of tall grass at the edge I saw her there, floating, lifeless in the still water. She was so blue. I never stopped running, I screamed as loud as I could hoping Shawn would hear and come. No one was there but me. It was eerie, quiet and still as I jumped as far as I could into the water towards her. I struggled to get to her with no footing in the deep water. I dont remember swimming back to shore. I dont remember getting out, just stumbling up the bank with her in my arms. She was so cold and blue and still. I laid her down in the grass and tugged the dress up clothes off to get to her chest, and I cried out to God. Shawn came running and I screamed at him, Go call 911 NOW!!! As he turned to run I wished he didnt have to go and he could help me. I was terrified and shaking looking at her.

I started CPR on her and I remember thinking how tiny she is. She started throwing up some of the water that filled her lungs and gasped for breath and went unconscious again. I gave her another breath and she threw up more water and took in some air and the terrible blue color started to fade from her face and she opened her eyes. I took the rest of her cold wet clothes off and yelled at Jonathan to go and get a blanket. Shawn came running back on the phone with 911. Jonathan came back with a blanket and I laid it down and put Becca on it and wrapped it over her rubbing her legs and arms and brushing her wet matted hair from her face. My mind was racing and I screamed, Wheres the ambulance?!! I want the phone give me the phone! Once I had the phone I asked what do I do next. And the operator told me to keep Becca on her side and do not pick her up. I remember hearing the sirens in the distance and saying, Where are they? Why arent they here yet? What is taking them so long? and yelling at Jonathan to go back inside the house with Leah and to get our neighbor Kim.

Becca was laying still in total shock, shivering with a blank stare in her eyes. Finally the Paramedics came rushing down to where we were and scooped her up and said they needed to take her to the truck. I struggled to get to my feet only to find I didnt have the strength to stand up. Sobbing gave the phone to Shawn and said, I cant do this, I just cant.

I grabbed the clothes and blankets and pulling things together and someone said leave all that just come. Shawn helped me up and grabbed the stuff from my arms and I flung myself up the bank, in between the houses and towards the rig. The paramedics helped me inside and told me to sit down and laid Becca in my arms and put an oxygen mask on her face. Her eyes kept closing and I called her name and brushed her hair back trying to keep her awake. The paramedics told me to breathe and calm down and that I had done great. I couldnt help thinking if I had done great this would never have happened at all. I couldnt stop my mind from darting between thoughts of all the What ifs that could have happened. Becca could have been hit by a car, lost in woods behind our house and laying somewhere hurt. She could have been attacked by gators that we know are in that lake. Two gators were just taken out of that lake last week and there could be more. What if I didnt go to the lake? What if she hadnt come back? The paramedics wrapped blankets around us. Becca threw up some more of the lake water and more of her beautiful baby doll pink skin color was coming back to her face. I kept talking to her to keep her awake.

Even now, I still cant stop thinking about it all. I cant get the image of her in the lake out of my head. I feel sick and disoriented. I cant think straight. I have no patience and I am still so exhausted. I cant remember what I am doing and I find myself walking in circles. I fight to wrestle my mind on to something else. I have a terrible time trying to sleep.

We were taken to an ER and the blood tests and MRI came back good but she was still in shock and not talking only looking around. Her lungs were mostly clear and her brain showed no sign of damage. I was still worried because she hadnt talked or really looked at me. The ER staff was cheery and roused a little bit of a smile from her. They told me how common this is and that they see it all the time. That seemed so wrong to me. I wanted to argue and say it cant be. What is wrong with parents like us if this happens so commonly? They told me little children are so resilient and that she would be OK. One guy came over and told us the story of his little two year old baby girl. Not two months ago he found her in their pool. But that she is fine now and even has no fear of water. Its like it never happened for her.

As we were talking and the police were questioning us and the Doctors were coming and going and all Becca started to perk up little by little. She tried to lean towards me and I asked her is she wanted Mommy to hold her and she nodded. So I took her in my arms and laid back and she snuggled close.

We were transferred to another Hospital with a PICU that would better be able to care for her. It was an hour long ride. But Becca started talking to me and saying what she saw out the window. She was even trying to sing along to her favorite bedtime songs. Becca received antibiotics and breathing treatments and a pounding therapy to help her get rid of any remaining water in her lungs. She had a hard time sleeping through the night. But popped up like a little daisy in the morning. The Doctor checked her and ordered an x-ray and evaluated her and ordered her some breakfast. After drinking some juice and eating a little she was really getting back to her rambunctious self and she was discharged.

I still can barely believe that she is doing so well. She is bouncing around giggling and running up and down the house. She is a bit more snuggly and doesnt want me to walk into another room with out her. Aside from a diaper rash after all the antibiotics she really is OK.

I cant believe that she opened the door. How did she figure out the childproof door handle? I just dont know. It happened so fast even with me near by. And it darn sure wont happen again!

As soon as we got back home we installed locks on all the doors at 51 inches so that there is no possible way she can reach them, but that Leah can still operate them. We are also immediately looking for swimming lessons. And as much as I hate disciplining Becca especially now I am getting after her to not touch the doors. I am being a bit of a Nazi about everyone closing every door and locking them all but it has to be done. If I could build a wall around the house I would.

Last night I had to go out to a Pharmacy to get a prescription cream for her bottom. Becca was sitting with Shawn and saw me walking towards the door and called out, Mommy wait! No touch door. No outside Mommy.

Thank God that I took CPR long ago and remembered how. If you or anyone you know has small children please urge them to take CPR and to not wait till their babies can reach the door handles to install better locks higher on all their doors. And also urge them to get swimming lessons for their little ones. We all need to be better parents so this is not such a common thing in the future. The statistics on drowning and near drowning are horrifying. Prevent, prevent, prevent! But know CPR just in case.

I am so thank full that my Becca is back with us laughing and smiling and loving us. Please pray for us as we are all having a hard time recovering from this. I think we all have Post Traumatic Stress.

27 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 28

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but thank God that she's okay and will be just fine. Kids can do the darndest things and I've learned through my friends kids that NOTHING is childproof (it's only adult proof).

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 28

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but thank God that she's okay and will be just fine. Kids can do the darndest things and I've learned through my friends kids that NOTHING is childproof (it's only adult proof).

Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 28

Kimmers971 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 28

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 28

Oh my God I have goosebumps after reading this. Every parents worst nightmare. I'm so relieved that she is OK now.

Please don't blame yourself because Becca was able to get out of the house. The door could have blown open just enough that she was able to get out of it. Kids are so curious, especially at her age.

You did an awesome job staying cool and administering CPR until the paramedics arrived.......you saved her life.

Thank God this story has a happy ending. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 28

Oh my God I have goosebumps after reading this. Every parents worst nightmare. I'm so relieved that she is OK now.

Please don't blame yourself because Becca was able to get out of the house. The door could have blown open just enough that she was able to get out of it. Kids are so curious, especially at her age.

You did an awesome job staying cool and administering CPR until the paramedics arrived.......you saved her life.

Thank God this story has a happy ending. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care!

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 28

Take care!

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 28

Thank God she's ok. I'll definately say a prayer for your family.

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 28

jammjenks Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 28

Karema Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:37pm
post #17 of 28

Thank God she is ok. I will definately say a prayer for you and your family. I can't even imagine what you are going through right now. My son got out of the house yesterday and was walking down the street to visit a friend. He is two years old. I didnt even know he was gone and a neighbor caught him and brought him home. I was so shaken. It can happen so fast as soon as they get out of your sight because they are fast. Don't blame yourself. Just try to keep a look out and do exactly what you did with adding the locks. May God continue to watch over you and your family.

Karema

TC123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 28

This is truly a heavenly miracle indeed! The timing of everything was just perfect to save your little one's life! And I am so glad this has a happy ending, and that Becca is okay. You did a wonderful job in saving her!!! Please don't be hard on yourself. Your sharing the valuable life-saving tips with us will help keep our children more safe.

I understand how difficult it is to recover from, though. When something like this happens, for some, it jolts your system, gets your adrenaline going in maximum overdrive, and scrambles your brain; and it may take a little time for your body and mind to settle back down. But you're all safe and sound, and at the end of the day, THAT's the important thing. Your family will be in my prayers, and I hope that you (like Becca) are feeling better with each passing day.

TC123 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #19 of 28

This is truly a heavenly miracle indeed! The timing of everything was just perfect to save your little one's life! And I am so glad this has a happy ending, and that Becca is okay. You did a wonderful job in saving her!!! Please don't be hard on yourself. Your sharing the valuable life-saving tips with us will help keep our children more safe.

I understand how difficult it is to recover from, though. When something like this happens, for some, it jolts your system, gets your adrenaline going in maximum overdrive, and scrambles your brain; and it may take a little time for your body and mind to settle back down. But you're all safe and sound, and at the end of the day, THAT's the important thing. Your family will be in my prayers, and I hope that you (like Becca) are feeling better with each passing day.

saffronica Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:54am
post #20 of 28

I had tears streaming down my face as I read this, knowing that it could have just as easily been my little girl. And that's just the thing -- it really could have happened to any of us. I'm sure you cherish each moment with her now even more than you did before. May the Lord continue to bless you.

rgj123 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:42am
post #21 of 28

Thank God your little sweetie is ok! Don't beat yourself up. You kept a clear head when you found her and you immediately changed the locks when you realized she could open the doors. I think that makes you a great, loving parent. I'm having a hard time coming up with the right words to say, your story upset me and I thank you for telling it - you reminded me terrible things can happen even when you think your family is safe at home.

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:28am
post #22 of 28

I'm so glad she's okay. What a scary thing for the whole family. Don't blame yourself, your quick thinking saved her life.

When my oldest daughter was almost two she got away from me at the duck pond and ran into it. I got her out and she was just wet and muddy and cold (it turns out there's about a foot of duck poop at the bottom of the pond). I stuck my finger in her mouth and pulled out mud, and she was fine...but I was so upset by the incident that I had terrible nosebleeds the next three nights. I can't even imagine how you're feeling, considering how upset I was and how minor my daughter's incident was.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #23 of 28

Please remember to give Thanks to our/your loving Father for helping you thru this ordeal! You did such a wonderufl job - such clear thinking in such turmoil! I will keep you and your family in my prayers that there will be no lasting effects - health wise or emotional.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:18pm
post #24 of 28

OMG. My heart jumped up into my throat while I was reading this. Oh dear. (((hugs))) Thank God she is ok.

glendaleAZ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #25 of 28

I'm so happy that your daughter is okay. I pray that you all find peace and can move forward to but this unhappy event behind you. And, just enjoy the fact that you were able to find her, save her, and be able to continue to love her.

Tammy

julia77 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #26 of 28

You saved your daughters life! Well done. thumbs_up.gif I cannot imagine being in your situation - how absolutely terrifying!!! I am so glad she is well now. And thank your for sharing the experience with us - it is a lesson to be vigilant ALL the time. thumbs_up.gif

MnSnow Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #27 of 28

Please read this. It involves another CC members family

www.prayforaidan.com

Thank God for saving your little girl and giving you the needed strength

michellenj Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:27pm
post #28 of 28

Thank goodness she is okay. That is soooo scary, and little ones can be such escape artists. Someone was watching out for you that day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%