First Wedding Cake, Getting It Right...

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm by bakingkat

Larkin121 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

My brother's wedding is coming up and I'm making the cake. I have it all planned out, but I want to ask for some guidance in making sure I pull it off.

First, the cake they requested is white cake (scratch) with raspberry and chocolate filling. The wedding is outdoors, the reception is indoors but not air conditioned, and it will potentially be hot (although this is Seattle, you never know). We do not have permission to use the fridge on site, and I have to be at the wedding location by noon, wedding is at 1pm, reception starts at 2pm, but cake is likely around 3:30 or 4pm.

My first thought was to use a bettercream "fake" mousse, because he asked for mousse, and I thought it would not be perishable - but turns out you have to add some milk, which defeats the purpose. So we've moved on to whipped ganache, which from my understanding is ok out of the fridge for 3 days or so.

The raspberry filling I have a question on. We don't want to use a sleeve of filling - we all dislike it. At first he wanted raspberry mousse, but again, I can't think of how to keep it safe. So then we decided on using just a raspberry jam filling. But the more I think about it, how long is it safe out of the fridge?

I plan to bake the cakes the week before, freeze them. Then fill and assemble on the friday, cover with white ganache on Friday evening (as I've seen here on CC as a great choice under fondant), and leave it overnight. (in fridge? out? not sure). Saturday, I'll cover in fondant and decorate - we are using cake stencils and black royal icing for a damask pattern.

My fondant refrigerates well (MFF) but I have heard that royal icing can bleed it's color on fondant in the fridge (or when you take it out). Because it's black, this would be very bad. That's why I planned to not refrigerate this one at all. So the cake would be sitting out from mid-day Saturday through mid day Sunday without being kept cold. Is raspberry jam going to be fine?

IF not, do you think I'll have issues with the black royal icing and the fridge? Is there another raspberry substitute you can think of to use inside instead?

Lastly, I think my best course of action here is to assemble on site... what should I know about being prepared for this? The last piece of decoration is ribbon along the bottom, so I assume once I stack on site, I just add my ribbon and viola, finished cake. Or am I forgetting something that might be difficult?

Thank you for guiding me to first wedding cake success! If it failed, my brother would forgive me easily, but his bride to be would probably never let it go!

6 replies
bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!
I would suggest doing a whipped chocolate raspberry ganache, then you don't have to worry about how long it sits out. Just add the jam to the ganache right when all the chocolate is melted. Then whip it up like normal. Then you only have one filling to worry about.
Also, adding ribbon is a lot more complicated then you would think, I put ribbon on a wedding cake, and the frosting bled through the ribbon, giving it a greasy look, i've since made a "ribbon" from fondant, and that's fixed the problem, but it's also more work. Hopefully someone on here has a solution for that, but just thought i'd give you a heads up.
That's all the advice I have for you, Hope it works out like you want!

bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!
I would suggest doing a whipped chocolate raspberry ganache, then you don't have to worry about how long it sits out. Just add the jam to the ganache right when all the chocolate is melted. Then whip it up like normal. Then you only have one filling to worry about.
Also, adding ribbon is a lot more complicated then you would think, I put ribbon on a wedding cake, and the frosting bled through the ribbon, giving it a greasy look, i've since made a "ribbon" from fondant, and that's fixed the problem, but it's also more work. Hopefully someone on here has a solution for that, but just thought i'd give you a heads up.

bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!

bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!

bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!

bakingkat Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 7

First of all, Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%