First Timer...any Suggestions?

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm by woodruffbn

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 17

Tomorrow night I will be venturting forth to try my very first fondant cake. Its LSU themed 2 tiered. I want to do yellow fondant on the bottom tier with purple tiger stripes and "Geaux Tigers" on the side of the top tier.
I made up the fondant last week, but haven't colored it yet.

Anybody have any advice, hints, tips, tricks for a first timer? I've looked thru just about every cake picture on this site. There are some extremely talented people on here.

I'll post pix when I'm done.

Thanks! icon_rolleyes.gif

16 replies
alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 17

I'm some-what new here also but I would go ahead and color my fondant to get the correct color. It will get a little darker after you make it. Sorry, that's all I have. icon_smile.gif

alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 17

I'm some-what new here also but I would go ahead and color my fondant to get the correct color. It will get a little darker after you make it. Sorry, that's all I have. icon_smile.gif

alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 17

alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 17

alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 17

alene Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 17

lilboo529 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 17

just a hint on making black its a hard color to make and i would recommended trying to color it a couple days in advance because it gets darker over time....

lilboo529 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 17

just a hint on making black its a hard color to make and i would recommended trying to color it a couple days in advance because it gets darker over time....

lilboo529 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 17

woodruffbn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 17

Getting deep colors like LSU purple is hard. IDK what kinds of fondant and colors you are using, but i can tell you from experience that if it is MMF you should try adding your color as you are melting your mallows. i don't know about the commercial fondants. Also, Wilton colors require a lot to color the fondant and it REALLY changed the consistancy of mine when I made royal blue. Alot of CCers reccomend Americolor. They say you dont have to use as much. Maybe you could find those! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 17

Wow, I had no idea. thanks. I have mostly wilton colors. Thats all they sell around here. I made my own fondant with a recipe I found. No marshmallows.
Would painting the stripes on be a better bet?

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 17

Wow, I had no idea. thanks. I have mostly wilton colors. Thats all they sell around here. I made my own fondant with a recipe I found. No marshmallows.

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 17

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 17

montanamommy Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 17

woodruffbn Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 17

I would cut them out of fondant. If you search for zebra print in the galleries (which is a lot like tiger) it will show tons of pics that you can use for an idea. In my opinion, it would look better with cutouts rather than painting them on. But if you have problems with your fondant you can certainly paint them on. You just thin your color in a little vodka or some kind of extract and paint away! Have you colored your fondant yet? Be sure to post pic of the finished product! I can't wait to see! I love LSU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%