Gelatin Help

Decorating By LauraLanier Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 2:09am by LauraLanier

LauraLanier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLanier Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 14

I am TRYING to make some glass slides for a Dexter cake. I need to make small strips and have a blood drop on them. I made up some strips and laid them on a silicone mat last night to dry and when I woke up they were all deformed and curled up. Is there anything I can do to get them to dry flat and does this happen even with the bows? Is there a way to dry them faster or just room temperature? Any help is appreciated, thanks, Laura

13 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 14

How did you make the strips? I think maybe it can be poured into a container and then cut it this way it might come out straight. I don't know of any kind of heat to dry it without melting it.

Charmed Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 14

How did you make the strips? I think maybe it can be poured into a container and then cut it this way it might come out straight. I don't know of any kind of heat to dry it without melting it.

Charmed Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 14

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 14

If you do the gelatin like you are going to make a bow - it would work out just fine. After it dries - you can cut them into strips the size of a slide. Be careful with the "blood drop" though, if the gelatin gets too wet it tries to curl. I think maybe it is deforming because you are trying to make the strips individually. Just make a big sheet of it, let it dry, then cut.

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 14

If you do the gelatin like you are going to make a bow - it would work out just fine. After it dries - you can cut them into strips the size of a slide. Be careful with the "blood drop" though, if the gelatin gets too wet it tries to curl. I think maybe it is deforming because you are trying to make the strips individually. Just make a big sheet of it, let it dry, then cut.

Loucinda Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 14

LauraLanier Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 14

Sorry it took me so long to get back to thanking you for the help. I did what you suggested and made a big sheet, I think I will cut them tomorrow and I also made the blood drpos individual and lay them on the strips. It is a lot of work for such a small thing but I think it will make all the difference. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

LauraLanier Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 14

Sorry it took me so long to get back to thanking you for the help. I did what you suggested and made a big sheet, I think I will cut them tomorrow and I also made the blood drpos individual and lay them on the strips. It is a lot of work for such a small thing but I think it will make all the difference. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #10 of 14

You're welcome - post a pic so we can see! thumbs_up.gif

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #11 of 14

iam so sorry girl iam jumping in,what mehtod of making jell bows is this and what is for please give me a hint or a links i like to learn everything is the only hoby i have, cakes and cake central icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

danizabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danizabe Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #12 of 14

iam so sorry girl iam jumping in,what mehtod of making jell bows is this and what is for please give me a hint or a links i like to learn everything is the only hoby i have, cakes and cake central icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #13 of 14

Here is the link on how to make the gelatin bows and butterflies (and flowers too)

http://cakecentral.com/justdi-ftopicp-6458448.html#6458448

LauraLanier Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #14 of 14

The picture is in my photos now, thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%