Help Pls With Purse Cake

Decorating By ikklejo Updated 8 Jul 2009 , 3:33am by dandelion56602

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

Hiya i have a cake to make for an 18th birthday girl and have seen a few purse cakes around and some of them are ace. I am looking for an easy way to do a 3d/stand up one rather than using the wilton pan or which does anyone think is most effective? Also if I do use the wilton pan is it ok to decirate in fondant or not? I have never made one before but I think they are very nice for a girls 18th

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Win Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 9

I have not made one, but was about do do so around Mother's Day with your same objective. I found quite a few really cute cakes made by simply cutting a round layer in half for the 'half moon' effect. The rest was in the details in terms of buckles, stripes, zippers, etc. There are some really creative ways you can make that simple style into a 3-d purse.

G_Cakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

If you are looking for a simple way to do a basic purse cake then just use a square cake and cut it to shape, you can also do the same with a round cake as well and just cut the bottom off the round so that it will stand up.

You can decorate it with anything you like but I love working with fondant and would go that route as you can do almost anything with it.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 9

I have not made one, but was about do do so around Mother's Day with your same objective. I found quite a few really cute cakes made by simply cutting a round layer in half for the 'half moon' effect. The rest was in the details in terms of buckles, stripes, zippers, etc. There are some really creative ways you can make that simple style into a 3-d purse.

G_Cakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 9

If you are looking for a simple way to do a basic purse cake then just use a square cake and cut it to shape, you can also do the same with a round cake as well and just cut the bottom off the round so that it will stand up.

You can decorate it with anything you like but I love working with fondant and would go that route as you can do almost anything with it.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, very helpful! icon_smile.gif

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 9

ikklejo Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 9

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 3:33am
post #9 of 9

I just finished one & it was soooo much easier than I thought it would be. How many are you wanting it to feed?

I made an 11x15 + about 1/3 of an 8" square (each just 2" high) Then I cut rectangles. The bottom was about 10 1/2" x 5". I cut the next 3 rectangles 1/2" shorter in length & width so I didn't have to carve much. All I had to do was round the corners & give the sides a little slope.

Remember if you are making it more than 2 layers high you need to treat it as a tiered cake & use dowels & a board after 2 layers.

I said the cake served about 35-40 people. If you need a smaller # of servings, just start out w/ a smaller cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%