Overlaying Fondant

Decorating By mommakeef Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm by Renaejrk

mommakeef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakeef Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 22

Hey all! For my July 4th cake I want to do a tier in white fondant, then a layer of blue fondant over that and cut out stars to show the white underneath. How do i make sure the fondant layers stick together, but still be able to remove the blue where I want the white to show through?

I know it'd probably be easier to add white stars on top of blue fondant, but I thought this way would look so much better!

Thanks for any help!!

~Shannon

21 replies
kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 22

I'm new to fondant but you could probably just cut the stars out before you add it to the cake(you know, when it's rolled out). Just dab a litle water on the first layer so the second one will stick.Sounds like it will be pretty.I might give it a try myself.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 22

I'm new to fondant but you could probably just cut the stars out before you add it to the cake(you know, when it's rolled out). Just dab a litle water on the first layer so the second one will stick.Sounds like it will be pretty.I might give it a try myself.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 22

Maybe cut the stars out of the blue before laying it on the cake. Then apply piping gel to the underside of the blue that will then rest on the white. Though you'd have to place the blue over the white very carefully so the piping gel doesn't smudge onto the white in the cut out areas.

One way to get around the smudge issue would be to just apply piping gel to the whole white layer, then after you applied and set the blue in place, you could sprinkle white sanding sugar (or some large crystal sparkly sugar) into the cut out areas to cover the shiny gel and give the stars some oomph.

artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 22

Double post

artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 22

triple post

mommakeef Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 22

duplicate

mommakeef Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 22

duplicate

mommakeef Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 22

I thought of that too, but was afraid of stretching out the stars when placing the blue layer on. I guess this will have to be a trial and error kind of thing icon_smile.gif better get a lot of blue fondant icon_wink.gif

artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 22

Let us know how you do. It's a technique I'd be interested in doing and would appreciate learning from whatever your experience ends up being.

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 22

I don't have an answer for you but I did try a cake like this once but I put the 2 layers on and then tried to cut out shapes on the top layer and it was a disaster! The layers were already stuck together so the shapes did not cut out well at all. Maybe cut the stars out first like pp said but then let it dry a few minutes before you apply the fondant to the cake to allow the shape to set a little? Let us know what you do and how it works, I would love to try again but have been scared. I got the idea from the Ace of Cakes brown and blue cake in the background when they talk to the camera, they did it so it must be possible! Good Luck!

wendalynn11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 22

sorry, duplicate!

wendalynn11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 22

I don't have an answer for you but I did try a cake like this once but I put the 2 layers on and then tried to cut out shapes on the top layer and it was a disaster! The layers were already stuck together so the shapes did not cut out well at all. Maybe cut the stars out first like pp said but then let it dry a few minutes before you apply the fondant to the cake to allow the shape to set a little? Let us know what you do and how it works, I would love to try again but have been scared. I got the idea from the Ace of Cakes brown and blue cake in the background when they talk to the camera, they did it so it must be possible! Good Luck!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 22

I haven't done it this way. However, I have covered a cake in blue fondant and then cut stars out of the covered cake, cut out white stars and filled in on the cake (it's in my photos). It was really just to see if I could actually get fondant to work. When it did work I looked at the blue star and said "Well, that's boring, now what?"

I was a little difficult to cut on the cake, but it worked. I wasn't all that pleased with the edge of the blue, it wasn't really clean, and the white ones didn't fit in as well as I would have liked (they were a little smaller than the hole on the cake even though I used the same cutter), but I was just happy to have made a nice smooth, easy to work with fondant, so I really didn't mind.

mgwebb68 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 22

I haven't done it this way. However, I have covered a cake in blue fondant and then cut stars out of the covered cake, cut out white stars and filled in on the cake (it's in my photos). It was really just to see if I could actually get fondant to work. When it did work I looked at the blue star and said "Well, that's boring, now what?"

I was a little difficult to cut on the cake, but it worked. I wasn't all that pleased with the edge of the blue, it wasn't really clean, and the white ones didn't fit in as well as I would have liked (they were a little smaller than the hole on the cake even though I used the same cutter), but I was just happy to have made a nice smooth, easy to work with fondant, so I really didn't mind.

mgwebb68 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #16 of 22

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 22

I wonder if you could put something (plastic wrap?) between the two layers, just in the area you want to cut.

Then after cutting, use a small paintbrush dampened just a bit to stick the edges down...?

I have never done this, but love the effect. So be sure to let us know how it goes!

endymion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 22

duplicate

endymion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 22

duplicate

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #20 of 22

just use fondant glue or piping gel in a few areas of the white to hold the 2 layers together, but avoid using it where you will be cutting stars from

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #21 of 22

just use fondant glue or piping gel in a few areas of the white to hold the 2 layers together, but avoid using it where you will be cutting stars from

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #22 of 22

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%