Opening Home Based Kitchen, Where Do I Find Supplies?

Business By Tarielena Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm by Mencked

Tarielena Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 12

As the title says, I'm planning on converting a room in my house into a bakery, but I don't know where to look to find the necessities. Ovens, for example. Do I look online or in person? What kind of store sells bakery type ovens? Also, where are the best prices for buying cases of boxes and boards, etc? I've seen some on a couple sites but they all seem very expensive. http://www.cakedeco.com seemed like the best prices on boxes so far, as well as flavorings, but they don't tell you their shipping charges up front. Does anyone have experience ordering through them and what the charges end up being?

Any advice on the millions of other things I'll be needing are welcome! I'm sure I'll be adding more questions as I think of them.

11 replies
Mike1394 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 12

Look up restaurant supply for your area.

Mike

Mike1394 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 12

Look up restaurant supply for your area.

Mike

cakequeen50 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 12

Possibly you can get supplies at a better price if you have your tax id#. will you have one of those for your legal (?) bakery?

Check your area, I have a paper company, ck south, several food distribution companies, restaurant depot, etc. that I can get supplies from. If you have a small order, you can pick them up from the company directly.

MUCH cheaper.

littlecake Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 12

you can buy half and full sheet boxes at sams.

call decopac, they will send you a catalog...they have gel color airbrush kits toy kits etc.

i bought some stuff off craigslist and ebay.

call and make sure your state allows home based kitchens before you go buying a bunch of stuff....the health dept and city hall will know.

littlecake Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 12

you can buy half and full sheet boxes at sams.

call decopac, they will send you a catalog...they have gel color airbrush kits toy kits etc.

i bought some stuff off craigslist and ebay.

call and make sure your state allows home based kitchens before you go buying a bunch of stuff....the health dept and city hall will know.

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 12

If you post your area we may be able to help you better. I found I can save significantly by visiting certain stores in my area.

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 12

If you post your area we may be able to help you better. I found I can save significantly by visiting certain stores in my area.

-AndSheBakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 12

Tarielena Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 12

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the responses so far! Yes it will be a legal home kitchen, I have already looked it up with the health department and it is possible in my area. I am in Grand Rapids, MI.

Tarielena Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 12

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the responses so far! Yes it will be a legal home kitchen, I have already looked it up with the health department and it is possible in my area. I am in Grand Rapids, MI.

Mencked Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 12

For equipment, check out craig's list and ebay!!! I got nearly everything, my deluxe oven, hobart 20 qt. mixer-this was my best buy at $250, tables, refrigerators, etc. from there...There's absolutely no need to buy new when you're starting out!! Best of luck to you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%